CHAPTER 12

My eyes flutter open at the soft knocking on Carlos' door. I roll over so that my back is facing both the door and Carlos, trying to block out the faint noise.

"It's just Donna amore," Carlos rasps, hugging me into his chest. I hum and let my eyes close, soaking in his warmth as he draws small circles on my stomach.

"Ophelia's here Donna," Carlos calls out, and I hear a string of words in Spanish through the door.

"I'm so sorry I didn't know, I just thought I'd tell you that I'm taking my two weeks off to visit my grandchildren," she says softly, guilt laced into her gentle voice.

Carlos chuckles as he sits up, "Donna I told you that you can take more than two weeks off, just enjoy yourself,"

I smile at their bickering as Donna mutters something about needing to look after the house before she says her goodbyes and her soft footsteps walk away.

I place my head in Carlos' lap as he leans against the headboard, his fingers combing through my hair. "You're staying with me until we sort out your father by the way," he says, his voice firm as I pull the covers back over me. I hum, "I know,"

"Good girl," he murmurs, leaning down to kiss my temple. I feel butterflies swarm my stomach as I let out a small sigh.

I'm safe here.

"You called me your girlfriend last night," I say softly, "Now our parents will think we're dating,"

"Let them, they can think we're married for fucks sake," he says nonchalantly,

"So we're fake dating then?" I chuckle, the idea seeming appealing.

He doesn't say anything and simply hums in response, a small smile forming on my lips.

He likes the idea of us fake dating.

I hear the ringing of a phone and I turn so I'm lying on my back, "It's so early, who the fuck is calling you?" I groan, my hand falling to cover my eyes.

"It's twelve o'clock amore," Carlos chuckles, "And it's Lukie," he adds, putting his phone on speaker.

"Have you seen the headlines this morning?" Luca immediately asks, his voice breathless as if he's trying not to laugh.

"No? What are they saying?" Carlos asks, his tone warning as he looks at me confused. I shrug and grab my phone, opening my News app.

My jaw drops open when I see the headlines.

"My girlfriend." Are Ophelia Aubert and Carlos Salvatore Dating?

Ophelia Aubert's Father Tells Tale About Meeting His Daughters Newest Boyfriend: Millionaire Carlos Salvatore.

Ophelia Aubert & Carlos Salvatore. Could they be this years Power Couple?

I lie there speechless as Carlos takes my phone from me. 

"He told the fucking press," I laugh, not a drop of humour in my voice as I remain lost for words.

"Everyone knows," is all he says, his voice almost inaudible.

"Are you two still there?" Luca asks hesitantly, and I nod as if he can see us. "Yeah we're here hermano," Carlos whispers, his eyes widening in fear as he scrolls on my phone.

I sit up as his eyes grow more frantic, his breathing picking up.

I look at him unsure of what to do as he starts panicking, his eyes only intensifying with fear as he continues scrolling through the headlines.