CHAPTER 42

"Are you sure you'll be alright if I leave?" Carlos asks for the hundredth time.

"Amant, I think you forget who I am," I chuckle, taking a long sip of my iced coffee as I look at him over the rim of my glass.

He sighs and closes his eyes, "I know," he says, looking back at me. "Forgive me Fia," he smiles, leaning over the kitchen bench to kiss me.

"You're forgiven," I mumble against his lips, kissing him back.

"I'll only be a few hours," he says softly, kissing my freckles as he holds my face in his hands.

"It's business, you run a mafia, take as long as you need," I reply, narrowing my eyes at him.

"I'm not going anywhere," I say in a sing-song voice, taking another sip.

He lets out a laugh and kisses me once more, "Don't miss me too much," he teases, sending me a wink as he adjusts his suit and walks out of the kitchen.

I let out a long sigh and lean against the island bench, eyeing the left over pancakes Carlos made for us this morning.

I pop a raspberry in my mouth and swallow, trying to decide what to do with my spare few hours.

We've been in Spain for a month, just us two as Carlos insisted that Donna go on a proper holiday.

I can't deny that it's been the best month of my life, spending every second of every day with Carlos, calling Adelyn every night of course.

Last week her and Luca came over to Spain and surprised us with a cake. When we cut it open the inside was blue.

She's having a boy.

I can't lie that I was a little disappointed that I'm not getting a little niece yet, but then I realised that I was an auntie either way.

I'm so fucking excited for the baby, Adelyn's always wanted a little family and now she's getting it.

I finish my iced coffee and rinse out the glass, resting it in the sink as I make my way outside to the large garden.

Winter is coming to an end so it's still too cold to swim in the pool, but I love sitting on the couches on the deck and just spend hours doing nothing.

It's lazy yes, but I've also been working over the past month. I've still been doing hits for both the Spanish and Italian-French Mafia.

Carlos and I have all but forgotten the feud with our parents, deciding not to care as they're not bothering us right now.

If they're stupid enough to try anything, then that's their bad decision, in the underworld there are a million other more important things to be concerned about.

I thread my fingers through my necklace, the same one which Carlos gifted me for Christmas. The same one which never leaves my neck, as the watch I have Carlos never leaves his wrist.

I wince when I rub on a hickey too hard, still fresh from last night.

Carlos has just about fucked me until I can't walk in every room. Not that I'm complaining of course.

Yesterday we rode our motorbikes down to a little beach, it was freezing but we swam anyway.

And that's how I want to spend the rest of my life.

Just me and Carlos. Us against the world. Filling our days with short adventures, running away together for the day.

I sigh and stand up, feeling as though sitting outside alone probably isn't the best way to spend my day.