CHAPTER 52

"It's best if we split up," Fia says, getting out of the car and tightening the straps of her bullet-proof vest.

"No, I'm not letting you go in alone," I say sharply, Fia's eyes burning into me.

"We'll cover more ground that way, we'll be more likely to find Mama," she reasons, loading her gun as she begins to walk to the back door.

"Fine," I sigh, knowing that she's right. As much as I hate to leave her alone, I know she can handle herself.

We quietly make our way to the door, and to my surprise it's open, I share a confused look with Fia before opening it and walking inside.

It's a pretty small estate, a long corridor splitting into two, the main part of the house at the end of the corridor we're standing in currently.

"You take the right, I'll go left," Fia says quietly, and I nod.

"Be safe," I murmur, pressing a kiss onto her lips as she chuckles, "When am I ever not safe?" she teases, kissing me back.

I glare at her and she shakes her head, "You be safe too mon amour," she whispers, kissing me one more time before turning and walking down the hallway.

I look back at her once more before turning down my hallway, looking to see rooms with closed doors leading to a dead end.

I raise my gun and walk to the first door, opening it and scanning the room. No one here. I leave the door open and walk across the hallway to the next door, scanning it and leaving the door open when it's empty once more.

Each room is empty, no furnishings, no signs of life.

I pray to whoever will listen that this isn't a trap, some sick set-up by Claude that will end badly.

I check the third and fourth rooms, each as empty as the last, before I make my way to last door on the left.

I slowly push it open and scan it, my breath catching in my lungs when I see a bloodied body on the ground.

Clarisse.

She coughs and turns her head, her eyes locking on mine as she smiles weakly.

I tuck my gun into my waistband as I run over to her, wincing as she tries to sit up, only to collapse onto the ground.

"Carlos," she whispers, her body trembling as she bleeds out.

"What happened?" my voice comes out smaller than I've ever heard it, resting her head on my knee as I scan her body for wounds.

I feel my heart break when I see gunshot wounds in her stomach, bruises over her face and arms as she coughs again, blood sinking into my clothing.

"He got me," she chuckles weakly, "He got me real good,"

"It's gonna be ok, we're gonna get you out of here and to a hospital," I choke out, panicking as she starts to bleed out more.

"No mon fils," she whispers, her eyes brimming with tears as she looks at me, slipping her hand in mine.

"We have to, I'll help you up," I say frantically, gently lifting her body up.

She coughs up blood as her fragile body shakes, "It's not worth it Carlos," she says gently, looking at me as a tear slips down her cheek.

"Don't say that, we can still save you," my voice cracks as I feel a tear run down my face.

"No mon fils, I'm too far gone now," she says softly, her trembling hand wiping my tear away.