CHAPTER 6

MATURE CONTENT WARNING (slightly)
——————————————————————

"Ophelia talk to me, what's wrong?" I ask, scared by her sudden change of persona. She doesn't seem to hear me as she looks at me blankly. "Fia?" I whisper, "Are you there amor?"

She simply stares at me before walking out of the kitchen holding her dinner. I stand up and watch her leave, my heart crashing as her blank stare plays over in my mind.

She didn't hear a word I said.

My feet stay cemented to the tiles, I know I should follow her but I know that feeling. She wants to be alone now, shut the world out with her locked doors in the hope that she can't be reached by anyone.

I hear my phone ring and go to decline until I see Luca's name. I'm not in the mood to accept but I do.

"Lukie!" I say, faking a tone I couldn't feel further from right now.

"I'm gonna be a Dad!" he laughs, pure happiness in his voice as I begin the walk back to my room.

"I heard, congrats hermano," I chuckle, smiling as I walk up the stairs. I hear Ophelia's door lock and I internally groan as I force myself to walk to my room instead of seeing what's wrong.

"How did you know?" he asks, his tone confused, "Ophelia told me this morning," I say, shutting my door behind me.

I hear Adelyn gasp in the background and I roll my eyes, "Where are you now?" Luca asks, "We're back in Spain," I reply, lying down on my bed.

"We?" Luca asks in disbelief, not bothering to hide his shock. "She said she had a few hits to make here so she's staying with me for the mean time," I explain, putting the phone on speaker.

There's a silence for a moment before Adelyn breaks it, "Is she ok?" she asks, obviously concerned for her cousin. I bite the inside of my cheek and choose to answer her question with a harder one. "What do you know about her Father?" I ask.

The silence is crushing before Adelyn speaks up, "He's not a good person but it's not my story to tell," she says simply. I hum and the line goes silent again.

"Well we'll leave you to figure that out, I need to celebrate fatherhood," Luca finally says, the happiness from before returning.

I chuckle and hover my finger over the button to hang up, "You have fun with that then Lukie," I tease, before the line goes dead as Adelyn laughs.

I sigh and let my phone fall out of my hand. I lie with my hand covering my face for a moment before I grunt and sit up, dialling Val's number.

"What?" she answers, and I roll my eyes at her lovely greeting.

"I need you to do some digging for me," I say, falling back down onto my bed. "Yeah?" she asks, sounding much more interested. "I need you to find out everything there is to know about Ophelia's father," I say.

"I don't know if that's territory you should be dabbling in Carlos," Val says warningly, her tone cold as I wince.

"Please Val, he's been bothering her lately, I've taken her to Spain so he can't reach her but I need to know who I'm dealing with," I explain, hoping she'll listen to reason.

She sighs before muttering something in Italian, "Fine but Lia doesn't know. She wouldn't like it if you were poking around her family history," she finally says.

"Thank you Val you're the best," I say, trying to butter up the salty bitch. "I know," she sighs, hanging up the phone.

I sit up again, thinking whether or not it's a good idea to disturb Ophelia. My eyes snap to my door when I hear heavy footsteps down the hall and my eyes narrow when I recognise they're not my Fia's. I feel my blood boil when they get louder.