Chapter 20

Hugh's POV

The next day, I go to Jonah and Laken's house, and this time I'm greeted by my friend.

I force myself to get rid of the disappointment, and I smile at him when I come inside of his house.

We go to his bedroom, and I sit on his bed, before I turn to look at him.

"I think that Jonah's seeing someone." He tells me.

"Why do you think that?" I ask him, trying to sound indifferent, because I don't want Laken to see my feelings.

He might be stupid, but he's quite good at reading people's emotions, which makes me a bit scared that he will see right through me, every time that he mentioned his father.

"He's happier than usual." He tells me, and I smile slightly at that.

"That's good." I tell him, and he nods his head in agreement, before he sits next to me.

"You're happier than usual too." He says, and I hold my breath, hoping that he isn't suggesting what I think that he's suggesting.

"He's too old for you." He tells me, but he doesn't seem angry.

He also doesn't seem happy, he sounds neutral, as if he isn't excited about the idea of his father dating me, but he's willing to accept it, if we will actually end up being together.

"I have no idea what you're talking about." I lie, and it makes him smirk at me, before he shakes his head in amusement.

"I'm sure you don't." He says, and I sigh, before I let myself lay on my back.

"Are you fine with that?" I ask him, and he shrugs.

"I'm not sure how I feel about it." He tells me honestly.

"I don't want it to affect our friendship." I say.

"It most likely will, I doubt that I will want to tell you anything private, when I will know that you might tell it to my father." He tells me.

"I won't tell him anything that you will tell me." I say, but then I realise that if he will tell me something, then I will have to lie to my mate to keep it a secret, if Jonah will ask me about something that I will know from his son.

Laken must have guessed what I thought about, and he just gives me a small smile, before he turns his head away from me.

"By the way, I have something to tell you, because I don't want you to find out about it from Jonah." He tells me.

"You can tell me anything." I say.

"Jonah's my uncle, not my father." He says, and I frown.

"Why would you lie about that?" I ask him.

He keeps looking away from me, so after a while of silence, I decide to sit up, and I force him to look at me.

"Because my parents weren't the best, and most of the people at my former town knew it, so I was called a freak.

And I wanted to have a normal family, so when I moved here, I started telling people that Jonah's my father." He explains, with tears in his eyes, so I give him a hug.