3

Alyssa

"So, you still need to wear the sling at school and if you go out, but at home you can take it off. The physio we did today is the new routine,"

"Oh that's amazing, pumpkin!"

"It is! I can see you have put lots of hard work into your physio. Keep doing what you're doing and it's looking like a full recovery," the doctor said.

"Can I go home now?"

"You are good to go,"

I slipped off the bed and opened the door, immediately leaving the room while dad thanked the doctor and collected all the letters we got.

When we got to the car, he swiped the aux cable before I could grab it then grinned, both of us buckling up.

"Would you like dropping off at Charles' house?"

"Why would I do that?"

"Is it not a hangout?"

"No, it's just Axel,"

"Oh right! Do they do track together?"

"No, Charles is my friend and my lab partner. He invited me over another time but not this time, I'm the one who said Axel would wanna go to his house,"

"I see, I only asked because you and Axel usually get invited places together,"

"Well I don't wanna hear them kissing, dad. Luke and Sierra kiss and its gross and sounds horrible and I don't wanna hear them kissing,"

"Ah, I see. You're Axel's wingwoman,"

"Yes! Finally, some recognition,"

"Was I supposed to know Axel is there for that reason?"

"Um, he always tells you about Charles," I said.

"Yeah, that he really likes him,"

"Yeah,"

"Oh, dad moment. I thought he meant as a friend... I don't know all this lingo,"

"Well don't say that to Axel, he thinks he's been telling you all about his crush,"

"I won't,"

"And don't say lingo,"

"My bad," he laughed.

"I didn't think he would go because we are having veggie burgers but he did go,"

"Yeah. Why don't we get home and cook ours?"

"Yes please, I'm hungry. Can we paint my nails at home for the weekend?"

"Sure,"

"Because I can rest my hand on the table now,"

"That's true! What colour?"

"Pink,"

"I should have guessed,"

I smiled and looked out the window as we drove home, pushing my hair out if my face. It always got messy at school.

When we got home, I went upstairs and took my sling off, then changed into pyjamas so I was comfy. My uniform was too small now, but dad had asked me to keep it until the end of the school year which was only about a week and a half. He bought me new actual clothes, so I couldn't complain.

I found a pink nail varnish, then took it downstairs and put it on the table, dad already in the kitchen. He smiled at me, then took my hair out of my bobble and fluffed it out.

"What would you like with the burgers? I'm making a salad, but I can make wedges or put in some fries?"

"Fries please,"