5

Ashton

"Cash for you, peppers for you,"

I passed both things back to the kids, then pulled out the store car park and drove to drop Axel off at the restaurant. He'd dressed up nicely, and Luke had helped him with his hair; Ax had grown it out and was starting to get a mullet. It looked good, he was growing up fast though.

"Text me when you're ready to get picked up,"

"Okay, thank you,"

"That's alright, love you sweetheart,"

"I love you too,"

He kissed my cheek then climbed out the car, Ally climbing into the front through between the seats.

"Can we go back? The cookies will be out,"

"We can indeed. You feel a bit better now yeah?"

"A bit. My stomach doesn't hurt anymore,"

"Good. Hopefully they won't be too bad every month!"

"It can get worse?"

"Hopefully not,"

"I hate being a girl. Being a girl sucks so much, periods, and you can't be friends with guys, and teachers think boys are better and stronger and smarter,"

"They do?"

"They always ask for strong boys to help move tables, and they're always chosen to help me. June is way smarter than all of them,"

"I'm sorry about that, sweetheart. Maybe you could talk about it to the headteacher, he likes to hear what you all have to say!"

"It's pointless,"

"No it's not. If you believe in something you should always fight for it,"

"It's silly, it's only school,"

"It's your community though,"

"Okay. Maybe I will. It's not fair... is it like that in grown up places too?"

"Unfortunately it can be,"

"I think my cousins treated Axel and I pretty equally,"

I nodded, for I wasn't sure if she meant it positively or negatively. There hadn't been much more conversation about her cousins over the last few months, both of them liked to keep their mouths zipped shut. I respected it, but it always took me by surprise when they got brought up.

"I love you, dad,"

"I love you too pumpkin!"

"Thank you for peppers. Auntie Sierra said she will make me a chicken wrap for lunch so she can put it in,"

"That sounds tasty,"

"Yeah. Can you occupy Gabi for a bit?"

"Sure can," I laughed, "Did you have fun this morning though?"

"Yes, I have just had enough now. My social battery needs recharging with cookies and Auntie Sierra. I'm allowed to do that,"

"You are,"

"Okay, thanks,"

"I didn't know you were asking a question,"

"I made a statement but it made me feel better you agreed,"

"Alright. I'm really glad you can recognise when you need that space before you get too overwhelmed, pumpkin. I'm really proud of everything you have done the last few months. All the doctors and the therapy, and the hard work at school. You're amazing!"