16

Ashton

"Guess what Gabi did today?"

"What?"

"Took Ally to get her ears pierced!"

"Did you know?" Michael asked.

"Absolutely not. Luke you have raised a sneaky kid,"

"She's not sneaky to me,"

"Well she is to the rest of us,"

"I'm surprised Alyssa got them done," Cal said, "She didn't hate the needles?"

"Not in a hospital, is it?"

"True. Her and Gabi are getting along then?"

"Gabi thinks they're best friends, I think Alyssa would probably settle for friends," Luke said, "But yes, they get along great,"

"That's a relief,"

"We should probably head off now, we're setting off early for our flight,"

"Have a good holiday,"

"Send us pictures!"

"Bye!"

"Mike, do you have any big pool floats we could borrow? It's the only way Ally can go in the pool and mine are kind of lame,"

"Yeah, she can come and take her pick,"

"Thank you,"

"Are they excited for summer?"

"Um, kind of. It's a touchy subject... I feel like I am back to walking on egg shells, not knowing what's gonna upset them,"

"You'll figure it out mate,"

"Yeah. You guys are always welcome to hang round here if you get free time, I'll be here,"

"How are you gonna cope away from hospital?"

"I know. I think we really need this time together though, as a family, just building our relationship,"

"I'm so excited you get to adopt them next week. They seem really happy about it,"

"They are, they've waited so long for something like this. I love them so much,"

"We're all gonna be there!"

"I appreciate it,"

There was a knock on my door, Cal and Mike giving me a wave before I left the call to invite them in. I thought it would be Ally, but it was Axel.

"Did I wake you up? Sorry dude,"

"I was playing video games but I feel really anxious,"

"That's no good, what's up?"

"Just for summer,"

"Okay. Anything in particular?"

"It was never a good time so I think my body is just stressed,"

"Yeah. Would you like to talk about it?"

"Maybe,"

"I'm all ears,"

He sat next to me and stayed silent for a few minutes, then let his weight fall into me and started sniffling.

"We are going to go in the pool, and drum, and go on runs, watch movies, play games, dance to music... lots of fun,"

"School keeps me busy, being with people keeps my busy. I don't wanna do summer anymore,"

"Oh sweetheart, I'm so sorry you're feeling so anxious. I will try and help keep you busy,"