10

Ashton

Immediately my head went no.
But in my head, Gabi was a little girl. She was still innocent, and liked to play, and needed her dad to decide everything for her.

She was grown up, though. She was becoming a doctor, she looked after herself, and she didn't need an adult as much anymore because she was the adult.

"Remind me how long you two have been together?"

"Kinda tricky to pinpoint but like... 5 years,"

I thought very highly of Maddox, and I always had, to be honest. She had stuck by Gabi through literally everything, and even in those tough times, Gabi would have a smile talking about Maddox.

"This is the ring,"

"Oh wow, Maddox, this is gorgeous,"

It was gold, with a jade in the middle, and very delicate.

"She will love this,"

"Is that a yes?"

"You've got my blessing, good luck with Luke,"

"I know," she laughed, "I wanna do it on holiday. I need their help,"

"Get Sierra on your side first and you'll be fine. He will be happy in secret if he doesn't show it,"

"I'm kinda worried... yanno, he got married young and it didn't work so what if he says no,"

"You don't actually need his blessing, but don't tell him I said that," I smiled, "Oh I'm so happy you wanna do this, that ring is so gorgeous. Is there any way I can facetime and watch in secret?"

"I'll try my best,"

"How are things going with you? Is work good?"

"Yeah, I love it. I'm writing on the side,"

"Awesome,"

"I told mum and dad what I'm doing. They wanna get us a house, near Luke. There's one for sale on their street,"

"I'm really happy for you, you're all grown up I don't like it! What do you mean you're proposing!"

She giggled, and put the box back in her bag, standing up.

"I'm gonna go and ask Luke and Sierra now... can I send Gabi here to pick something up?"

"Yeah,"

She pulled out Gabi's favourite jumper and left it on the table, then I gave her a tight hug and she let herself out.
For a moment, I was stunned, then I did a little happy dance because the pair of them deserved so much happiness. I did wish her very good luck with Luke, though.

I tidied the kitchen up for a bit, then went up to check on Axel, finding him on his games. He seemed happy enough, so I went through to Alyssa, who was very much not happy. I was really hoping not every period made her feel so crappy.

"Hiya pumpkin,"

"Do you still love me?"

"You know I still love you,"

"Okay. I keep getting worried the adoption isn't gonna work out,"

"I promise you it will work out. It's all set to go, we just need to turn up!"

"I want to be an Irwin so bad,"

"I know. You're already one at heart,"

"I think I'm ready for a day off,"

"You get a whole summer off," I said, "Why don't you watch some tv? Or Gabi is coming to pick up a jumper if you wanna see her?"

"I want to see her,"