20

Ashton

"Yep, I understand. That is no problem. Thank you for calling,"

"What is it?" Ally said, wiping syrup from her face, "Who?"

"That was the court, our slot has been moved half an hour later tomorrow, that's all,"

"What? No, I planned the morning,"

"It's alright, I can give you a lie in now!"

"No," she said, her voice wobbling, "No, this isn't how I planned everything,"

"Ally, it's alright. We can still leave the house at the original time if you want, and we can make a stop to get a drink on the way,"

"It's gonna get cancelled,"

"No it isn't, pumpkin. I promise,"

"If they can change the time they can cancel it. They're gonna,"

"I will not let them do that," I said, wrapping my arms round her, "You are getting adopted tomorrow,"

She started hyperventilating, so I held her head to my chest and gently scratched the back of it, kissing the top of it too. I found she liked to be held really close, like she was wrapped up with dad bubble wrap.

"It's going to be okay. I know things with social workers and the court haven't worked out the best in the past, so I am really sorry it makes you feel so stressed, pumpkin. I promise it will be okay, though,"

"100% promise?"

"99% promise, but if that 1% happens dad mode will find a solution,"

"It's not gonna happen though," Axel said, "It's fine, Ally. I'm happy with a lie in,"

"Ax things don't work out for us,"

"They didn't used to, but they do now. We have friends, and family, and video games. They work out for us now,"

I always found it interesting to hear what my kids valued, and I had to hide my chuckle that video games made it to the same level as family. But, he was right. Things did get figured out now.

"You are going to get adopted tomorrow, Ally," I said, "And it is going to be the most special day. I want you both to know that you can talk to me about any emotions you have about it all, happy or sad,"

"Thanks, dad,"

"I wanna get adopted," Ally cried, "They're gonna take this away from me too, aren't they? My cousins, my brother, now my dad,"

"I'm not going anywhere,"

It took a while for her to calm down, but she eventually did, and I managed to convince her to at least sit and watch a movie with us all. To my surprise, she said she wanted my friends to come over later, so I invited them. I thought really she wanted Luke over, but he was travelling back today so they weren't coming.

They came over after work, and I cooked for them all. Axel helped Ally join in the conversations which was really nice to see, and everyone congregated in the kitchen while I cooked. I was so grateful the day had been flipped round with a positive spin.

"This is delicious, Ash,"

"Not as good as yours,"

"Gabi always goes on about your food, Calum. Do you really always cook for her?" Ally asked

"Yep, always have and probably always will,"

"You do lots for her. I hope she is very grateful,"

"She is, I would do it all for you two as well!"

"Really?"

"Of course,"

"Are you coming tomorrow?" Axel asked, "Can you help me get ready?"

"Well, I brought all my stuff. I thought I could stay over and help you all out tomorrow,"

"Oh Cal, you don't have to," I said, "But thank you. I think we will need it,"

"Dad please can you tell me our schedule later?" Ally said quietly, "Is it still happening?"

"It is, pumpkin. Don't you worry,"

"Can we play games tonight?"

"Board games?"

"Yeah,"

"That is a brilliant idea," Michael said, "I am down,"

"Me too,"

"If we clear the table we can get them out. Would anyone else anything else to eat? Help yourself to anything in the cupboards,"

While I cleared up with the guys, Ally helped herself to some peanut butter (literally just spoonfuls of it in a bowl) then sat next to Calum at the table. I got the games out and we chose a couple, then played them, chilled out and enjoying good company. Evenings with my kids and friends combined were starting to have more laughter, and more smiles, and we couldn't have ended the night before the adoption on a better note.