34

tw/ mentions abuse and drugs
Ashton

That night, neither kids could sleep, so they both got into my bed and we all slept in there together.  It wasn't ideal, but it was the only thing that worked.

We had a bit of an early start, so I cooked us some breakfast and put some music on quietly to try and dissolve a bit of the tension. Thankfully, Calum arrived because he was getting a lift from us, and it helped a bit.

"I love your hair, Alyssa!"

"Thank you," she whispered.

"Is there anything I can do, Ash? I can tidy up which you get ready?"

"That would help a lot, thanks man,"

As I left to go upstairs, he pat my back, and I heard him talking to Axel. It was really difficult to know what mood we should even be trying to display right now. Happy obviously wasn't in the question, but I was trying not to be as miserable as they felt because I knew it would only make it worse.

I got into my suit, then Ally came upstairs and changed into her dress. Luke had lent us a shirt for Axel, so he changed into that and we got in the car. There were snacks and drinks for the road, but all in all, it was a very quiet morning and journey.

Uncomfortable too. Cal and I didn't talk, and neither did the kids- it wasn't a short drive either.

We met up with our friends before court, but then I took Ally and Axel in separately with all our identification. They got to see the court room empty, and got a rundown of how it would go. We would be sat listening for a bit, then Ally would go up, followed by Axel.

In my opinion, the other way round would have been better but it wasn't up to me.

We got taken to a family room for a bit where I got to cuddle them both, and someone tried to talk to them about how to be 'good witnesses' but Axel got really upset so we stopped that.

"It's gonna be okay dude," I whispered, kissing his forehead, "You just answer the questions as well as you both can. I will be there, and I can't talk but I am there,"

"What about when you're with Ally?"

"Our family will look after you,"

"Your family,"

"Our family," I said, gently squeezing his shoulder, "You are part of this family, big time. They are all here today to make sure you are both okay,"

"I would like to sit with Auntie Sierra when I am not up there please, dad," Ally said, starting to tear up, "I am really scared. If I answer badly will I go to jail?"

"Nobody is going to jail. You guys are talking about what happened today so that the court can understand what happened, that is all. You just need to tell them as well as you can to help them understand,"

"Okay,"

"Try your best to speak clearly and give a straightforward answer, yeah?"

"Okay,"

"You are allowed to think about your answer for a bit as well. Everyone in that room is on your side, they just need to understand. I am gonna make sure you get lots of treats after this,"

I kissed both their cheeks and carried on holding them tightly until it was time to go into the courtroom. We sat in the middle of the row with Sierra next to Ally, and Calum next to Axel.

Only Gabi hadn't come- it was still a pretty sensitive topic if something about court or the police came up.

"You guys can do this in a different room if you don't want to do it here," I reminded, as Ally's hands were extremely clammy, but she shook her head. I felt like part of her wanted to see them again, and I didn't blame her. She obviously found some sort of comfort in the familiarity of her old memories and I definitely thought she needed some kind of closure. For them to know she was okay, and her to know they were okay.