25

Ally

"We're going for a run, will you be okay?"

"Yeah, I'm watching tv,"

"Good. See you in a bit, pumpkin,"

"Can you run a bit fast please?"

Dad laughed and kissed my head, then both him and Axel left, so I got comfier on the sofa and turned the tv up louder. After yesterday, I was more than happy to have some alone time. Not too much, but a little bit.

I spread out like a starfish and drank the chocolate milk Calum had dropped off for me on his way to work. I had a bowl of crisps too, but I had hidden them from dad under a blanket.

Even though I missed school a bit, I was definitely enjoying my rest, and having no stress from homework was nice. I was a bit worried I might forget all my knowledge, but dad had got us some workbooks and said he would help if we wanted.

Last summer, Ax went on runs by himself, but they were very short because he didn't like to leave me alone too long. I didn't really leave the house at all last summer, barely the room... barely the bed. Sometimes I wondered if dad knew just how much of a difference he had made, especially for Axel. He was the motivated one of us, and he wanted to do loads of things that he could do now.

I had a safe place, and I was comfortable to just exist in it. Me having a safe place meant Axel got to do things without feeling any guilt and I felt like that was probably the best gift dad had ever given him.

They were gone for about 40 minutes, then came back and got themselves water.

"Well you look comfy,"

"I am," I giggled, "You're sweaty?"

"Awh do you want a hug?"

"No,"

"Are you sure?"

"No!" I laughed, dad starting to tickle me, "You're gonna spill my milk,"

"The bottle is empty. Jesus Ally,"

"Oh. It was nice,"

"It wasn't gonna disappear," he laughed, "You are gonna be crazy,"

"No I'm not. Can you shower?"

"I can,"

"You drank a whole bottle of chocolate milk?" Axel said, taking it from dad's hand, "I wanted some,"

"Sorry,"

"At least you enjoyed it,"

"Calum is buying me chocolate cereal so I am going to stay tomorrow,"

"You ate that quicker than you drank this milk! It's still a no from me,"

"Ughhhhhh,"

"I'll go and shower them we can talk about it if you want, so you understand,"

"I understand, you're mean," I grumbled.

"I'm not mean, we will talk after my shower,"

"Oohhh,"

"Axel, enough. Go and shower too," he said, "And put the milk in the bin,"

"Sorry,"

They both left and I curled up in a ball under a blanket, going on my phone. I wanted to text Sierra but she would be working, so I just played a game and waited for one of them to come back down. It was dad- I heard Axel shouting on video games with Charles.

He sat by my feet and put my legs on his lap, but I took them back off and gave him a side eye, looking back at my phone.

"Talk to me,"