42

Ashton

"We are home," I said, gently shaking both the kids awake, "I will get cooking, go and get into your pjs,"

"Is Gabi still here?"

"I am not sure! Let's see,"

They seemed a little hesitant, and I supposed it was silly of me to have brought two drunk people into the house, but I wasn't letting Gabi go anywhere unsafe.

When I got inside, the kitchen was kind of a state, but food had been cooked so they were okay at least. I checked their room, but it was empty with a thank you note from Sierra, so I stripped the bed down and would wash it tomorrow.

Instead of cooking something fresh, I just got something out the freezer for us all, and called them down when it was ready. We took it to the sofa, and stuck the tv on. They both seemed jittery, but it had been a long day so goodness knows what they were thinking about.

"I think I am gonna head to bed, I was up late yesterday," I said, "Let's load the dishwasher,"

"We have something for you,"

"Oh? Really?"

"Yeah. I need to get it," Ally said.

"We will load the dishwasher then,"

Axel and I took the dishes through while she ran upstairs- I still hated it when she did that. Honestly, I wondered if she went up them loudly simply because she could. She didn't have to scurry off anymore, and she faced no consequences for doing it. It was a battle I wasn't picking.

She came back down with her hand behind her back and a card, which she presented. Then, Axel took flowers out her other hand and gave them to me.

"What's all this for?"

"You're a really good dad,"

"Oh you two. You are so kind, thank you so much. I will read this card when I am in bed,"

"Auntie Sierra and Uncle Luke are looking after us tomorrow so you can have a day with Gabi. We are gonna have a sleepover with them," Ally said.

"Really? You planned that?"

"Yeah,"

"Thank you. You are both my angels,"

"After the court session we felt so overwhelmed with love, and by family... we know Gabi is super important and that you struggle to find time to hang," Axel said, "She is really lucky to have had you in her whole life, and we wanna let you both have a day,"

"That is so kind of you both, I am very grateful,"

"You're the one who taught us to be kind,"

It meant so much to me that they thought that I had influenced them in such a positive way, and that they had even thought about me. I always thought about them, and I didn't mind if I never got anything but gratefulness in return, but they had actually considered what I might like.

I was desperate for some Gabi time. A whole day of Gabi time.

"Will you guys be okay with Luke and Sierra?"

"Yeah. We are gonna go for a nice drink and make cookies,"

"Very nice,"

"What are you and Gabi gonna do?"

"I don't know, I will have a think. Thank you so much,"

I hugged them both again, then we went into the living room and Axel rested on my side, Ally laying on my lap. It always hit me hard when they mentioned how Gabi got to have me her whole life. They were still kids now, but it broke my heart to think of them young.