8

Alyssa

"I like your hair today,"

"Thanks, Axel braided it last night so it was curly,"

"You always look so cute," June said, "Aren't you so glad school ends this week?"

"A bit, I'm gonna miss it but I'm excited for my first summer with dad,"

"We're gonna have so much fun,"

"Not too much!" Maria said, "I'm not here,"

"You're travelling round Europe all summer, zip it,"

"What? All your siblings?!"

"Only 5 of us are going, plus mum and dad,"

"Wow,"

"That sounds amazing," Axel said, "We might book a holiday once we are adopted,"

"Where do you wanna go?"

"I wanna go to Disneyland," I said, "It looks fun,"

"It's so fun,"

"I dunno,"

"Axel, you would enjoy it," June said, "You have to ask,"

"Sucks to be Ally, she's too scared to ask for things and I'm not gonna ask,"

"That was mean,"

"If you wanna go you need to ask," he shrugged, "You've gotta learn, and if disneyland on the stake doesn't make you ask then nothing will,"

"You just embarrassed me," I said, stopping in the hallway, "That's something personal. You know why I don't like asking for things,"

"Come on, Ally,"

"No. That is a family issue I trusted you with,"

I felt myself tearing up and groaned at my tear ducts, then grabbed my bag from him and walked the opposite direction to the girls toilets so only June and Maria could follow, which they did.

I didn't like my friends knowing stuff about home. Asking dad for things was something really tricky for me to do still- little things were fine, I could ask for food or a bottle of water, but I couldn't ask to go to disneyland. I still felt scared to ask for new pens, and once I had done a week of school work in pencil because all mine ran out.

Our cousins got us stuff we needed, but that was it. Anything else was a hassle to them, and younger me who wanted toys and to play was definitely treated harshly. Realistically, I knew dad wouldn't raise his voice at me for asking something, but my gut still told me he would.

"He's so annoying lately," I said, "And I have my first period and I have loads of emotions I can't control,"

"Oh girl, I totally get that. It will get better," Maria said, "We'll look after you,"

"He thinks I am stupid,"

"I think he was trying to help, but it came out wrong," June said, "Expose you to the situation,"

"He didn't have to tell you guys,"

"We don't care!"

"But I care,"

"Ally!"

"Get out the girls toilet weirdo," June shouted, "We'll be there in a second,"

She pulled out concealer from her bag and dabbed it under my eyes, then sorted out my hair and smiled, booping my nose.

"Come on, he will say sorry, and he will learn his lesson. If not we will give him hell next time,"

She grabbed my hand and walked us back out the bathroom, Maria bringing my bag with her; Axel and Haz were outside waiting, immediately coming over.