45

Ashton

Personally I had no idea why Gabi's sunlounger was the best, but she happily sat there for about an hour listening to my music on her phone, both of us enjoying each other's company. She was obviously a copy of her dad, but we had a lot in common too, and I was thoroughly enjoying the last year-ish of seeing her grow outside of the hospital.

At times I felt distant to her, but this reminded me not to. Our love for each other was genuinely eternal, and though I would never put any of my burdens on her, I did feel like we sought for each other in times of need. I needed my Gabi time as much as she needed her Ash time.

Ally hadn't wanted anyone to sleep in her room, so Gabi took the spare room and we got ready for golf after soaking up the sun. I did feel a little bad- Ally's room used to be Gabi's room- but if she was upset she didn't show it. She was definitely comfortable with the whole idea of me having kids now, but she had grown up a lot lately and I wasn't surprised. I mean, she was engaged. She was getting house keys soon.

"Ash, are you ready?"

"I have been ready this whole time,"

"Oh. Sorry,"

"You look nice,"

"Thank you. Maddox got me this top. It sounds kind of lame but she really helped me feel good about myself, even though I have scars everywhere,"

"That isn't lame at all,"

"It's too hot to hide them all anyway,"

"You are beautiful," I said, kissing the top of her head, "But I am so gonna beat your ass at golf,"

"Nuh uh,"

"I have the steadiest hands known to man,"

"I do too," she said, holding hers up, "I have changed my mind about my path. I wanna try and be a brain surgeon still,"

"For real?"

"Yeah,"

"That is amazing, darling. I've got your back with whatever that journey throws at you,"

"Thank you,"

"I knew you wouldn't ever really give up on it,"

"It might not work out still,"

"I know, but I think it could. You're really well now, aren't you?"

"Yeah. I am,"

I tucked her hair behind her ear and sighed, getting some mascara off her face.

"What?"

"All grown up,"

"You're really bad at disguising how you can't believe I made it to adulthood,"

"Sorry,"

"I'm glad you're happy I am here. We have golf to get to, though,"

"Yeah, okay,"

"Sorry. I just, it's just that you all acted like I wasn't gonna die, but now I can tell you all thought I would," she said quietly, "It makes me double scared of getting sick again,"

"Yeah, I am sorry,"

"I keep it on the low, it's kind of just between me and Calum, but I still have therapy every two weeks. He pays,"

"Oh darling, that is nothing to be ashamed of. Why haven't you told dad?"

"I don't wanna stress him out. He thinks I am better, which I am but I still like to have therapy. I still get anxious about my health sometimes,"