54

one week later
Ashton

"Kids! Come down!"

"We're playing games!"

"I have a present!"

No more than 30 seconds later, they were downstairs.

Ally had gotten over her illness pretty fast once I was home and looking after her, so she was bright and cheery as ever. Axel was recovering well too, he wasn't having any problems with anything. He still had his bandages, but didn't complain of any aching and it wasn't as sore anymore which was easier for me to handle. To tell the truth, it had been rough.

But when had things been easy for us? We were pros at making it work.

"It's in the living room,"

"What is it?"

"Go and see,"

They let themselves in and I followed, my eardrums practically bursting from Ally's scream.

"A bunny?!"

"I thought we needed a little pick me up,"

"Oh my god. Is it a girl or a boy?"

"A girl,"

"She is so pretty,"

She picked the bunny up with ease and d snuggled her, then put her back down on the floor and sat, watching her hop around.

"There is a huge pen we need to build,"

"I just wanna play,"

"I knew you would. Luke is gonna come and help later, he is just helping Gabi move some bits into the house,"

"Is it a pretty house?"

"Definitely,"

"She deserves a pretty house,"

"She does,"

"Ally, you should name her," Axel said, gently stroking the bunny.

"Um, I am not sure. I will think but it has to start with A. Thank you, dad,"

"You are very welcome,"

"I love her," Axel smiled- the first proper smile I had seen all week.

The first few days of him being home were the worst few days ever. He was in pain, and bored, and miserable. I couldn't even really hug him, so it was hard to comfort him. Plus, his bike had been wrecked and even though I promised a new one he was absolutely distraught about it, and still kind of was. They didn't get things like bikes before, and for it to get ruined was a hard hit.

Now, he was getting a bit better, but it was still tough for him. I think emotionally it was a lot, as it had been when Ally was in hospital, but he was spending more time out of his room now. He had been talking to Calum and Mike a bit as well, which was nice to hear, and see the results of.

It had been a tough week but it almost felt like everything after the adoption had finally settled, and the blend of my kids and my friends was complete.

"Charles is coming in a bit," Ally said.

"He is?"

"Yeah. Not for very long,"

"Oh. Okay,"

"I am gonna go and think of a bunny name,"

She took herself to the kitchen, picking up a pen on the way out, so I sat with Axel and the bunny, both of us taking turns to pet her.

"I feel a bit better again today,"

"Good,"

"Sorry if I ruined anything,"