48

Ashton

"Dude, you are killing it on the drums but I am worried you also might actually kill the drums,"

"Sorry,"

"Is everything okay?"

He shrugged, and wiped the sweat from his forehead, eagerly taking the water from my hand.

"Just letting it out,"

"Wanna chat?"

"It's just the photo thing again. I don't wanna talk about it anymore, I just wanna move on somehow,"

"Okay," I said, gently rubbing his back, "I am here if you need to talk. Why don't you have a breather and then we can go for a run? Ally is watching tv, I feel like she is firmly planted there for the day,"

"Yeah, I would like that,"

He laid down on the sofa I had down here, so I sat at the drums and quietly messed around for a bit while I waited for him to cool off.
Eventually, he got up, so we went upstairs to change and told Ally we were going. She didn't seem fussed.

Axel was pretty good at keeping a good pace now, so it was a pleasant run, and the sun wasn't beaming down too strong. We stopped at a bench to drink some water for a bit, then he wanted to get going again.

"Careful dude,"

"What?"

"There's a car,"

"Oh shit. Yeah,"

"Why don't we walk for a bit? Maybe have a chat?"

"I'm fine,"

"Then we can talk about good things. What did you get up to yesterday?"

"Shopping, board games, movies,"

"Sounds fun!"

"Yeah. It was. I am grateful for Luke and Sierra,"

"I know they appreciate your time together a lot,"

"They had a photo of me in their house," he said quietly, "That meant a lot but it felt weird. In a good way I think, but super weird,"

"Yeah. Everyone loves you two so much, but if it gets too much you are allowed to say something. We all respect each other,"

"Can we print my photo off? And get a frame?"

"Of course we can, sweetheart . I will get that sorted,"

"Thank you. I would like one of me and you in my room as well,"

"Well can get some printed off. Your room has got a lot more character lately, hasn't it?"

"Yeah. Maria gave me some of her old posters,"

"Would you like some more for Christmas?"

"Yes please. Well, maybe... I need to think about my present,"

"You get more than one,"

"Oh. Really?"

"Mhm. I feel like I am gonna spoil you both rotton this year,"

"Christmas was usually a kinda good time at home. We had Christmas dinner, and we did get a present each... and we had a shitty little tree. It was our version of Christmas and I loved it,"

"That sounds really cool, bud. Maybe you and Ally can still have a little tree,"

"I would like that,"

It didn't sound like an incredible Christmas compared to how we liked to do it here, but the memory brought a huge smile onto his face which made me happy to see.