12

Alyssa

"How are you feeling?"

"A bit better,"

"Good. I'm making food, would you like some?" dad said, gently running his fingers through my hair.

"Yeah,"

"Alright. Here is some more medicine, try and stay awake now,"

"I wanna go to school tomorrow,"

"If you feel well enough then thats fine,"

He helped me sit up and I took the medicine, then stood up and wobbled, dad catching me.

"Lots of water while you eat, please,"

"Fine,"

"You don't need to give me attitude, I'm trying to help,"

"Sorry,"

"Now come on,"

He led me downstairs and I sat next to Axel at the table, literally melting into his arms. When we were younger he always used to look after me if I got sick, and though I was glad we had a dad now so he didn't have to, I would always seek his comfort.

I didn't have much appetite today for tea, so dad saved mine, then tried to get me to eat more by presenting me with chocolate cookies. I only had half of one, so he decided I must feel really rotten, and carried me to the sofa so I could cuddle with him. Since it made it worse to watch tv, he put music on and I listened to him and Axel talk about their day. It didn't sound like I had missed much, but I would've rather been at school.

"Have you done your physio at all today pumpkin?"

"No,"

"We probably should give it a go, then I will run you a bath and you can get back in bed,"

"I don't wanna do it today,"

"I know, but we are almost over the final hurdle now,"

"It's too stiff,"

"We will do half of it then. Compromise,"

"Okay,"

It wasn't like I totally hated physio now, not like I used to, but somedays it was harder than others, like with everything.

We went upstairs and he starting running the bath, then he helped me do some of the exercises, until I got overwhelmed. It had been an odd few days.

"You have done so well with all of this,"

"Okay,"

"If there's any special treat you might want then let me know, yeah? You could go and get your nails done, your hair done, anything,"

"I just wanna do lots of fun things over summer,"

"Then we will do that," he said, cupping my cheek, "You know you are the sweetest kid ever, right?"

"Why?"

"You just are. I love you so much, I'm really sorry you have had a tough few days. If you don't feel better tomorrow we will have all your friends round another day,"

"I will be better,"

"Good," he smiled, "Check the bath is to your standards,"

It was, so I put a bath bomb in and got dad to tie my hair up, then got in the bath pretty much until it got cold.
Dad tucked me into bed after, then he read me another chapter of my book- he wasn't mad that Calum had done that too.

Sometimes we still came across situations that I didn't know the outcome of, and though something like that seemed trivial, it did stay in the back of my mind. It could be hard for me to believe someone as good as dad was truly good, but he said Axel and I were blessings to him and he treated us that way. I was so lucky.

I couldn't get to sleep very well that night, so I went and slept in Axel's bed, then I was fine.

Thankfully, I woke up feeling better, so I got ready for school like Axel. Dad usually woke me up before Ax so I could get ready, but this time it was just his alarm so I was in a bit of a rush. Dad packed me an overnight bag while I had breakfast, then he plait my hair for me so I didn't have to worry about it.

"Dad, can I take a swimming costume?"

"You can only stay on the float,"

"I know,"

"You promise?"

"I literally can't swim so I'm not gonna try,"

"Okay,"

"Can I have one of your tshirts to wear over?"

"Of course, go and put your shoes on, I will sort it all,"

I did as he said, then we got in the car and he put our bags in the boot, taking us to school with music. We both gave him a big hug before we left since June was taking us home, then Axel and I took our bags to Mr Matthews classroom because he told Axel we could keep our stuff there.

"Good morning you two! Are you feeling better, Alyssa?"

"Yeah. What time is it?"

"Ooh, you have about 15 minutes before the first class,"

"I need to go and talk to the headteacher,"

"Is everything okay? Anything I can help with?"

"It's just about how girls keep getting treated differently and I think that's really bad,"

"It certainly is! I will let you get off and make your point,"

I dragged Axel along with me down to the office and knocked on the door, fiddling with my sling while I waited to be let in. It didn't take too long, then he welcomed me in, so I sat down at his desk. Now I was here I felt like I could puke.

"Is everything okay?"

"Um, I am okay but I have something to say,"

"What's that then?"

"Um, in some of my classes girls aren't treated the same and I think that's not right,"

"What are the differences?"

"Well, they always ask for a strong boy, or they let the boy monitor the class if they step outside, and if I ever need help it's always a boy," I said quietly.

"I see,"

"June got 97% in her maths test once but a boy got chosen over her to help me. Also, if a boy behaves badly I noticed a girl always has to sit with him to make him behave. Also Axel always got encouraged to do science next year and I didn't, I got encouraged to do humanities even though I get the same grade in science as I do in history,"

"That definitely seems unfair, I am going to note that down and see what I can do about it over summer. Would you like to do all the sciences next year?"

"No, but if I did want to no one would know because they didn't let me be interested,"

"Alright. Thank you for coming and telling me that,"

"Okay,"

"You have made a really positive impact on this school, Alyssa. Starting the geography club, standing up for what you believe in... all your teachers have positive things to say. We are proud to have you as a pupil here,"

"Really?"

"Yeah. You have well earned your summer break! Now, class is about to start, I hope you have a good rest of your day. I will do my best to make things fairer next year,"