4

Ashton

"Hiya dude, we got you a starbucks,"

"Thank you,"

"Have you had a good time?"

"Yeah. Can I go out with him tomorrow for lunch?"

"Sure. I'll need to get some cash out,"

"How was physio, Ally?"

"I get to take my sling off at home,"

"That's amazing. I'm glad you're healing,"

"It still hurts,"

"It'll feel better soon," I said, "Are we all buckled up?"

"Yeah,"

"Awesome. Axel, we've been invited to games night tomorrow at Luke's house. How does that sound?"

"Yes please,"

"We are seeing how I feel tomorrow," Ally said sharply.

"We are. Have you eaten, Ax?"

"Yep,"

"Good stuff. Pjs and a movie tonight I think!"

"I just wanna get in bed," Ally said, "Please,"

"I think it'll be good to sit with us, don't you?"

"Nope,"

"I'll watch a movie," Axel said.

When we got home, both kids went upstairs, so I set up the living room for a movie. I made popcorn, and lit some candles, then piled up the cushions and the blankets. Axel came back down and sat next to me, but Ally didn't show, so we started to watch it,

He ended up falling asleep on my side halfway through, but I wanted to watch it anyway so I kept it on. When my kids fell asleep on me, I still loved it. I was glad they felt safe, and relaxed, and I absolutely adored their company regardless of whether it was silence or they weren't shutting up.

I guessed I still looked for reassurance quite often that I was doing this all right, too, and this was some form of that.

"Heya bud, are you gonna get to bed?" I said quietly, scratching his head to wake him, "You've had a long day,"

"Huh?"

"Let's get to bed,"

He yawned, then moved the popcorn off my lap, laying his head on it instead.

"Sorry I fell asleep,"

"It's alright. Have you had a good day?"

"Yeah. I need to tell you something,"

"What is it?"

"You probably guessed but me and Charles are like... we're like... not just friends. Is that okay?"

"That is more than okay, dude. He sounds like a really lovely boy," I said, gently brushing his hair with my fingers.

"He is. He is so kind to me, and patient, and he's really smart. He's really gentle,"

"Then I am really happy for you,"

"Thanks, dad. He likes to play video games, and he wants to be a nurse too. We're really similar,"

"That's really cool. You can help each other out,"

"Yeah," he said, rolling over to look up at me, "I love you,"

"I love you too, sweetheart. So, so much,"

"Thank you for giving us both a safe space to be ourselves. I feel like I have learnt a lot about myself,"