7

Ally

"Here's your medicine, and your pancakes, and your new book just came in the post so I say we sunbathe and read,"

"When is Axel coming back?"

"No idea, I think he somehow ended up at Michael's house,"

"Oh. Okay. Thanks for my book,"

"You're welcome,"

I took my medicine and started eating my pancakes, reading the blurb of the book; dad always found me good books.

After breakfast, I freshened up and got changed into shorts and a vest, then slipped on dad's sandals and went into the back garden.

"I need to buy you your own sandals,"

"I like yours,"

"They're massive on your feet,"

I giggled and sat on one of the sun lounger with my sunglasses, putting the book beside me.

"Have you put suncream on?"

"No,"

"Get it on,"

"I don't like how it feels,"

"I don't care, you're not getting burnt,"

He brought the bottle over and started putting it on my good arm, then I took the bottle and put it on my bad arm, and legs. He did my face for me, and my back, then picked my book up and sat next to me.

"Do you have suncream on, dad?"

"I do. Would you like any water before we settle?"

"No thanks,"

I laid back and shut my eyes, so he started reading to me. Dad was amazing at reading stories, he made them so exciting, and read at a good pace. It was probably my favourite way that we got quality time together, and it made me feel so appreciated that he took the time to read a book he probably wasn't interested in, just so I could experience it. I was definitely learning a lot better what worked with helping my dyslexia, but it was easier for dad to read to me and he knew that.

I ended up falling asleep, which happened most times, and I woke up under a huge umbrella for shade. A glass of water was beside me, and my phone too.

"Dad?"

"I'm right here,"

"Oh. Hi,"

"Did you have a good sleep?"

"How long was I sleeping?"

"Only about half an hour!"

"Okay. I can't wait until my arm is better so I can go in the pool, I'm so hot,"

"I could spray the hose on ya,"

"No," I giggled, "I'm gonna go inside for a bit,"

"Want me to come?"

"Yes please,"

I felt clingy to dad lately- the adoption coming close made me feel that way. It was the final hurdle, and things didn't usually go our way. This had to happen.

We chose a movie to watch and sprawled across the sofa, then Axel got dropped off home and joined us, but went on his phone. Usually we had homework, but we had three days left so I got to have a lazy weekend. I was ready for a lazy summer.

Axel wasn't too fond of summer, and I admit it used to be kind of boring. As much as we hated school, at least it was a few hours out of the house doing something. We never did anything during summer but I never complained. Admittedly, laying at home in bed fit my headspace in that home, I dissociated a lot, or slept.