Discover by grangertash

Chapter 5: Day 5

***

Mrs. Benson liked to give her son some amount of freedom, it was always one of the rules on the parenting books. She knew that she had to let him handle certain things on his own and she was fully aware that his relationship with Sam was one of them. Though, this caused somewhat of a dilemma for Mrs. Benson. On one hand she couldn't simply leave her son to be outside in the middle of the night, angry and alone. On the other hand, she thought it was maybe something a young man wouldn't want their mother to be involved in. It was certainly an issue on which Mrs. Benson was unsure.

Over her years of being a parent, she had come across many dilemmas. Whether it was deciding which school to send her son or which brand of tick lotion to order from. She had found that the best way to deal with these situations was to act on her instincts. For instance, when Freddie turned thirteen she couldn't decide whether to let him stop wearing his anti- bacterial underwear. She had ended up acting on her instincts and ordered him to continue wearing them, Freddie had had no underwear related bacteria diseases since; a decision well made.

So, suddenly thinking upon all the dangers of Freddie and Sam being outside alone, she made a decision to go after them. Grabbing both of their jackets, she ran to find her son.

"Mrs. Benson. Where are you going?"

She turned to see Carly, looking rather distressed, sitting on her bed.

"It's dark. Sam and Freddie should be inside. I'm going to find them," She told her.

Carly bit her lip, "Should I go and try to find Sam? She might need me to . . ."

Mrs. Benson shook her head, "No, two missing children are enough. Just stay there and don't touch anything."

Carly nodded, looking less than pleased. In typical Carly manner, she did as she was told and lay on her bed with a loud sigh. "Mrs. Benson?"

"Yes?" She replied, rather impatiently as she was eager to leave.

"They'll be in the garden. They both love it there."

"Thank you, Carly." She nodded, briefly wondering how Carly had come across that fact, before leaving and making her way downstairs.

Walking down the hall she found she was not prepared for what she was going to say to Freddie. In fact, she wasn't sure what he was feeling, which was unusual for her. Although she knows that the fight was merely a result of an overload of hormonal confusion, she can't help but be worried for the future of their relationship. The textbooks Mrs. Benson had read told her all about to deal with broken hearts and 'puberty feelings' but Sam and Freddie were different than that. You couldn't find the answer to them in a textbook.

Reaching the garden she could hear voices outside, growing louder as she grew closer to the door. She peeked out side and to her surprise, Sam and Freddie were together and they were certainly not talking in their inside voices. Mrs. Benson hesitated, worried that they would freeze outside in their pyjamas but not wanting to interrupt, she sat and watched.

"Would you just leave me alone?"

"Just leave me alone!"

"Why do you have to be so obnoxious?"

"Why do you have to be such a dork!"

"Leave!"

"No!"

"Well, I'm not going anywhere!"

Suddenly, they both stopped. It was dark, the only source of light coming from the flickering lamp that wobbled over their heads. Mrs. Benson could see both children looked worn out, as if the insults had somehow ran dry. Sam's face was stained from tears that were rarely seen from her and she was nervously playing with her hair in silence. Freddie stood, staring at Sam, tapping his fingers against his side. There was a silence in the air that made Mrs. Benson nervous, it was a silence that was unique when it comes to Sam and Freddie.