Fruits And Ham by Tricksterr

Chapter 2

***

She's staring at me right now. I have the feeling it's the kind of stare most people get right before they're brutally murdered.

I wish it would be that painless.

By now everyone was crowded around the fat dude...No one noticed Sam and me, still standing around the table.

"You what?" She asked, with her eyes practically spelling out her feeling.

I really should run.

"I....love you," I said feebly. She walked over to me, ignoring the madhouse surrounding us. Lily and Carly were gone, only us.

She walked up to me and placed her hand on my cheek. I held it there.

"Are you sure?" she asked me. I decided to opt for the truth. Hey, I wanted to live.

"No," I said, 'cause I wasn't. I was confused.

She removed her hand and walked away in the most un-Samish way ever. She suddenly turned and slapped me clear cross the face.

"You're an ass," she said as I held my cheek. I stared at her wordlessly. She ran out of the diner in a huff, visibly angered. I prayed Gibby wouldn't be in her way.

Carly walked over to me, and said after quickly looking around, "Where'd Sam go?"

The space where she had been felt cold and empty. Sam was the reason my world spun around. The realization was, again, like Sam throwing 5 ton bricks at my head.

"I dunno," I said, waiting for Carly to ask why I looked like I was about to sprint.

"What are you gonna do...?" Carly finally asks. I grinned a lunatic's grin, and waved at her.

"I'm gonna go after the girl I love!" I shouted. I heard the place cheer, and nobody was around the fat dude anymore, they were around me in that cheesy way bad romantic comedies do.

"What does that have to do with Sam?" Carly asked, scrunching up her tiny nose. I laughed.

"Sam is the girl I love!" I exclaimed, loving the way the words rolled over my tongue. Carly gasped, and another loud round of cheers filled the diner, as I ran to catch up with Sam.

"Sam! Sam?" I shouted. I looked over in the direction of where she'd run, and was greeted by emptiness.

"Aw, man!" I shouted. The streets were cold and foreboding on the left of me, and warm sunny and bright on my right.

I ran to the left.

"Sam?! SAM!" I yelled, praying to God that she wasn't going to murder me.

The ground was wet and slippery from an unnoticed rain. The sky was still gray, and Sam was till no where in sight. The only comfort during this whole mess was knowing that Gibby was one of the people in the diner, and wasn't in Sam's way.

The thing about Sam is she doesn't get mad. She gets even. And I really got her pissed. This could be really, really bad. It doesn't do well for the pride when you're murdered by the girl of your dreams.

"Freddie, dude, what are you doing? Are you running from Sam?" I suddenly heard. I turned around and saw Jake and Jonah, looking ready to go in the defensive pose.

"No, I'm looking for her!" I said, waiting for their reactions.

Jake placed a hand on my forehead. "Are you sick?" he asked.

"Forget sick! Are you stupid?" Jonah asked.

"I don't know. I just know I'm in love. And that could result in my death." I answered, pushing Jake back a little bit.