Chapter 53

The air in the room felt thick with tension as I mustered the courage to reveal my hidden pain to Louis. My heart pounded in my chest, the weight of secrecy about to be lifted. Louis sat across from me, unaware of the storm brewing beneath the surface.

"Louis, there's something I need to show you," I began, my voice barely above a whisper.

He glanced up at me, curiosity flickering in his eyes. "What is it, Amelia?"

I hesitated for a moment, then slowly rolled up the sleeves of my sweater, revealing the cuts on my arms. The room seemed to freeze as Louis' eyes widened, shock and disbelief registering on his face.

"What... what is this?" His voice wavered between anger and concern.

My throat tightened as I struggled to find the words. "I've been... I've been hurting myself. I didn't know how to tell you, Louis."

The words hung in the air, heavy with the weight of my confession. Louis' initial shock morphed into anger, his features contorting with frustration. "Amelia, why? Why would you do something like this?"

His words hit me like a wave, and I fought back tears. "Louis, I... I didn't want to burden you. I thought I could handle it on my own."

He stood abruptly, his chair scraping against the floor. "Handle it on your own? Amelia, you're my sister. You don't have to handle everything on your own!"

"Louis, relax." Harry step in.

His anger reverberated through the room, and I flinched at the intensity of his reaction. "Louis, I just didn't want you to worry. I thought keeping it from you would protect you."

His eyes bore into mine, frustration evident. "Protect me? Amelia, keeping this from me hurts more than anything you're going through. We're family, and we should face these things together."

I felt a lump forming in my throat, guilt and shame twisting within me. "I didn't want you to blame yourself. I didn't want to burden you with my problems."

He shook his head, his frustration giving way to a deep concern. "You're my sister, Amelia. Your problems are my problems. I should have been there for you."

The silence that followed was thick with emotion, a tumultuous blend of anger, regret, and an underlying love that bound us together. Louis took a deep breath, attempting to collect himself.

"I just... I can't believe you kept this from me," he said, his voice more subdued.

A sense of remorse washed over me. "I'm sorry, Louis. I should have told you sooner."

He ran a hand through his hair, a sign of exasperation. "Damn it, Amelia. Why would you do this to yourself? You're stronger than this."

His words stung, and I struggled to keep my composure. "I felt so alone, Louis. The nightmares, the guilt... I didn't know how to handle it."

His frustration seemed to reach a boiling point. "You have me, you have Harry, you have Kelly. Why didn't you come to us?"

I looked down at my hands, feeling the weight of his disappointment. "I didn't want to burden anyone. I thought I could handle it on my own."

His expression softened, a mix of concern and regret. "Amelia, you're not a burden. Your pain is our pain. We can help you through this, but you have to let us in."

The vulnerability in his eyes made my heart ache. "I'm sorry, Louis. I never meant to hurt you."

He took a step closer, his anger dissipating into a deep worry. "I just can't stand the thought of you hurting yourself. I should have been more aware."

I flinched, the intensity of his concern catching me off guard. "Louis, I didn't want you to know. I thought I could handle it."

He reached out, hesitating before gently touching my shoulder. "Amelia, you don't have to handle everything alone. We're here for you. I'm here for you."

As his words sank in, I felt a mix of gratitude and regret. "I'm so sorry, Louis."

He sighed, his anger giving way to compassion. "Let's get through this together, okay? No more keeping things from each other."

I nodded, the weight of secrecy slowly lifting. "I promise, Louis. I won't shut you out anymore."

He pulled me into a hesitant embrace, and for a moment, I felt a sense of safety in his arms. "I love you, Amelia. We'll figure this out together."

As I clung to my brother, the knots of guilt and shame began to loosen.

***

This one is short 🫣
Hope you enjoyed!