Chapter 46

Chapter 46:

I wake up to the sound of a voice. I slowly open my eyes. I see Peeta slowly rocking Adeline and walking around our hospital room. I can hear him talking to her. Saying sweet things that make my heart melt.

"Shh. You're okay. Daddy's here. Daddy's with you, it's all right. Mommy needs a break. Shh." He says. She calms down a bit. "You are so beautiful. You know that? We're gonna have a hard time keeping the boys away when you're older. Aren't we? Aren't we?" He says beaming at her. I'm wide awake now just observing.

She starts fussing again. I look at the clock. She probably needs a feeding. "Peeta." I say.

"Oh Katniss, I didn't mean to wake you I'm sorry." He says trying to calm Adeline.

"No it's fine. She needs a feeding, that's why she's fussy." I say reaching for her.

He places her in my arms and I lift my shirt and let her latch on. I sit there just staring at my beautiful daughter. Tomorrow we'll hopefully be able to leave the hospital. I can't wait to go home and just relax. I look over and notice Peeta is staring at me.

"What?" I ask.

"Nothing I just can't believe that we're parents. I mean, wow." He says.

I laugh a little. "Yeah I know what you mean."

I lift her up and start to burp her on my shoulder.

"God I can't believe how tiny she is." He says.

"Yeah I know. She's only 18 inches long and weighs like 6 pounds." I say. "That's pretty small."

"I just can't believe you ever thought that you'd be a bad mother. Look at you. You were born to do this." Peeta says.

"Yeah I agree. I think I was more scared of the idea than the actual thing. The first time I held her I knew that I'd be fine. I knew that I would always protect her and try my best to be the best mother I can be." I say gazing at her.

I put her back in her crib. "I just can't wait to take her home." I say.

Peeta comes over and kisses my forehead. "Me either, get some sleep, you deserve it."

I listen to him and fall into a dreamless sleep.

------------------------------------------------------

When I wake up in the morning Peeta is sitting in the chair next to me with Adeline. I look over at them and smile.

"Morning gorgeous." He says.

"Morning." I say sleepily.

"You ready to go home today?" He asks.

"Yeah, so ready." I say.

About half an hour later, a nurse comes in and tells us that they have to do a few last minute checkups on me and the baby. She said it would only take about an hour. While they were checking me and Adeline, Peeta was packing up our things. Dr. Matthews came in to have some final words with me.

"Katniss, I'm glad to see you're up and moving already, don't push yourself though." He says patting my back.

"Trust me I won't." I say. "I don't think I've ever been this exhausted in my life."

"Well I wish you all the best. Make sure you schedule an appointment to come back in about a month." He says.

"Will do." I say. "Thank you so much, for everything."

"You're welcome, it is my job you know." He says.

I chuckle and wave. "See you soon." I say.

"I can't wait to sleep in my own bed." Peeta says.