Chapter 23

Chapter 23:

My mother, Effie and I sat and drank our tea for about an hour. Peeta had to go to work after he finished setting up the guest room. While I was cleaning up my mother let out a short gasp.

"What?" I say turning around.

"Your dress! Have you gotten one yet?" She asks.

"Well I've been looking around, and I liked a few but I knew I couldn't make a decision without either of you here, so I put 4 dresses on hold at the local dress shop. I thought maybe we could go look at them together." I say drying my hands on the kitchen towel next to me.

"Oh perfect! We should go now, it's the perfect time because Peeta's not here." Effie says.

"Okay, but he comes home at 5:00 and it's 2:00 right now, so we better hurry." I say.

We all grab our purses and things and I grab the car keys and mine and Peeta's credit card to pay for the dress. We head out and arrive at the store. When we walk in Effie and my mother go and admire dresses while I tell the lady I need my dresses.

"Hi, my name is Katniss Everdeen. I came a couple weeks ago and put 4 dresses on hold. I wanted to try them on again." I say.

"Okay, I'll get those for you right away. Your guests can sit over there," she says pointing to a little sitting area in front of a mirror, "and I'll meet you in dressing room 2 with your dresses." She says.

"Okay, thank you!" I say happily.

I go over to my mom and Effie and tell them to go sit and I go into the dressing room and wait for the lady to return with my dresses.

When she comes back I start with a dress that is fitted at the top and is poofy on the bottom. It has rhinestones all along the top and loads of tule on the bottom. I walk out to my mother and Effie.

"Oh Katniss you look stunning." My mother says.

"You're glowing darling." Effie says.

"Yes you are, but I don't really think that dress is...you I guess." Says my mother.

"I agree, it seems too over the top for you." Effie replies.

"I was thinking the same thing." I say.

I go back and try on the next dress. It has a fairly straight shape, but goes in a little toward my waists. It has wide straps and is all lace. I don't really like this one, so I decide to not even come out. The next one is a mermaid dress. It has a lot of beading and is super uncomfortable but I go out anyway.

As soon as I look in the mirror, I start cracking up. My mother and Effie join in as well.

"I'm sorry Katniss, but that dress is not you at all!" Effie says still laughing.

"Trust me I know Effie!" I say.

We go back into the dressing room and try on the last one. This one has long selves with a lace accent by my wrists, it has a deep scoop in the back, revealing most of my back and has some beading by the neckline. It's silk and is floor length. This one I love!

I walk out and as soon as I do Effie and my mother's mouths drop open.

"Katniss," my mother says as her voice breaks, "this one is beautiful."

"Oh yes." Says Effie with tears in her eyes, "Its lovely. You look stunning."

"I think this is the one." I say confidently looking at my reflection in the mirror.

I go and take the dress off and get sized for alterations. When I'm walking out with the dress my mother says,

"You need a veil and shoes."

Luckily the dress store has both. "Okay."

We find a sheer veil with beading at the top, that matches the dress and plain white shoes.

As I'm paying my mother says "Katniss, I insist on paying for your veil and shoes."

"Mom you don't have to do that, it's fine!" I say stubbornly.

"No Katniss, please, I want to do something special for you." She says.

Reluctantly I agree. "Fine."

As we walk home I get really excited realizing my wedding is only in a week.

Hey guys! I hope your liking it so far! If you couldn't really get a good image of the dress, I wanted it to be like Bella Swan's dress from Twilight lol. I've always loved that dress! Anyway, please comment and vote!
-Mel ;)