Chapter 14

Chapter 14:

When I wake up I turn over to see Peeta still sleeping next to me. I brush the hair from his eyes and watch him sleep. He looks much younger when he's sleeping. Like the 16 year old Peeta again. Even though Peeta is only 19, what we have been through in the past three years is more than one could imagine in a lifetime. I'm just about to lean in and give Peeta a kiss when I shoot up and run the the toilet and let out the contents of what seems like a lifetime's worth of food. I hear Peeta get up and rush to the bathroom with me. I'm sitting next to the toilet now.

"Hey, are you okay?" He asks me.

"Umm," I say unsteadily, "Yeah, I think so. It's probably just a bug."

"Katniss, what if it's something more, what if your appendix burst too." Peeta says warily. "How many times and how long had this happened?"

"Just once and right when I woke up." I say.

"Oh." Is all Peeta says.

"Oh my god." I say realizing something. "Peeta, what's the date today?"

"The 17th why?" He asks.

"Because I'm late." I say and look down.

"Oh no." Peeta says.

I don't dare to lift my head. I'm on the verge of tears. There is no way Peeta and I are ready for a child. The closer I had grown to Peeta the more I warmed up to the idea of having children but I'm only 18! We're not even married!

"I'm gonna go to the store to get a few tests. I'll be right back." Peeta says. He kisses my forehead and runs downstairs and out the door in a heartbeat.

Not even 10 minutes later I hear him open the back door and come running up the stairs. I've somewhat come out of shock and look at him. He looks almost sorry for me.

I take the tests out of his hand and say "Thank you." I close the door behind me and take out three. I take all three of them and rest them on the counter. They take five minutes so I wash my hands and go into our room to find Peeta sitting on the bed with his head in his hands. I sit next to him.

"Peeta, I'm scared." Is all I say. He looks up from his hands and takes me in his arms.

"Katniss, whatever happens, we'll get through this. I promise you." He says.

"I have no doubt that you won't help me Peeta, but I'm just not ready to be a mom! I just turned 18!" I say.

"I know, I know. But there's nothing we can do now, is there?" He says.

"No I guess not." I say and rest my head on his shoulder.

Just then I hear the beeps. I get up and look at Peeta. He gives me a reassuring look and I walk into the bathroom. I look at all three of the tests. They all say POSITIVE in the weird digital screen thing. I throw them in the garbage and walk out to Peeta to deliver the news.

The look on my face must say it all, because as soon as I walk out he looks at me and immediately takes me in his arms and cradles me like a child. I can't help the tears that rack body and I begin to uncontrollably sob into Peeta's shirt. He's trying to tell me things to make me feel better but to be honest, I'm not really listening. I begin to realize all the symptoms I've had lately. I've been sorta moody sometimes, I've been awfully hungry, my back hurts a lot these days, and sometimes after walking around me feet hurt. Now with the vomiting and missing my period, it all makes sense now.

When I have enough courage to look up at Peeta, I look him straight in the eye. There are still tears pouring out of my eyes but I don't care.

"Peeta, how are we going to do this?" I ask him.

"Honestly Katniss, I don't know. But what I do know is that this little person," he says rubbing my stomach "Will have two parents that love him or her very much and that's all that he or she needs to survive. Love." He says.

I start to cry even harder. Not out of fear, or pain. But love and joy because I realize how great of a father Peeta will be and that together, we can get through anything.

"I'm going to go downstairs and make an appointment for a doctor as soon as possible. I'll come back up when I'm done." Peeta says.

I nod and lay down on the bed. I can't think of anything but the one and only reoccurring thought in my head:

I am pregnant.