4. Dismember

"Why are you smiling?" Harwin questioned Larys.

"Because im happy."

"Well stop it. It's unnerving." Harwin half mused. Larys rolled his eyes but his smile wouldnt fade. "Seriously whats wrong with you?"

"Im happy," Larys corrected. "Nothing is wrong in fact everything is right."

"Laenor said yes... we have an arrangement to which I already fucked up." Rhaenyra muttered.

"What do you mean?"

"Criston Cole."

"What about him?" vaera countered.

"I... we... it doesnt matter but he doesnt like me."

"You are to be married and he is your guard, he better like you enough to help keep you alive." Vaera countered.

"It's not... I didnt... never mind you wouldnt understand." Rhaenyra countered.

"Only because you are not telling me anything." Vaera countered.

"Its grown up stuff."

"You are barely older than me." Vaera countered.

"Yet it is I that is getting married." Rhaenyra corrected.

"Thats only because father loves me most and would never marry me off at a whim. Also because i wouldnt be caught in foolish positions such as you were." Vaera sassed.

"Vaera!" Rhaenyra demanded

"Well its true!" Vaera shouted back.

"You know nothing! You are a foolish little girl Vaera!" Rhaenyra demanded.

"I know that Mother raised one of us right. I would never be seen a brothel! Mother would be ashamed of you-" Rhaenyra slapped her and vaera cowered back touching her stinging cheek.

"Vaera Im-" rhaenyra began her face full of regret but vaera pursed her lips and marched off.

"Hello Vaera have you come study. I must admit- who did this to you?" Larys demanded fury in his eyes, his tone suddenly darkened as he saw her cheek red cheek.

"Im fine." Vaera whispered plopping down on the couch beside larys. She leaned into him. His long thin fingers traced along her jaw.

"Vaera," he whispered his breath on her cheek. "What happened?" Vaera shook her head.

"Read me a story?" Vaera requested instead.

"I will kill whoever did this to you." Larys declared. "I will take their hand first." Vaera chuckled softly imagining it. "Then tear them apart bit by bit."

"As entertaining as that might be you can't." Vaera corrected.

"Yes I can. I will." Larys corrected.

"I made Nyra mad by telling her the truth and she hit me." Vaera grumbled. "I appreciate the lengths you might go to seek justice but you cant kill Nyra. No matter how much you threatening her made me happy." Vaera admitted.

"Rhaenyra did this." Larys repeated. He could kill a princess for vaera. He would kill for her.

"I dont want to talk about it." Vaera added "can you read me a story larys?" She out her head on his shoulder and her wrapped an arm around her. Her cheek settled on his chest. His finger massaged her scalp as he took his time thumbing through a book.

"You would tell me if someone hurt you, right?" Larys whispered

"Nyra is the only one that would dare to. Everyone else knows my father would quarter them for hurting me." Vaera assured

"You would tell me though?"

"You going to dismember someone for me?" Vaera questioned.

"For you. I would do anything."

Vaera smiled into him. That was something a hero said before saving the day. Or the villain before her blew up the world for his girl.

Vaera decided she was okay with it whichever way the wind blew or the tides changed.