Chapter 44

Valentin's POV

Nathan and I walk back towards the house, because I had to stay in the pack house for a while longer than usual, so I decided to wait on him.

I feel weird when I have to go past my grandparents' house, because that's where I was living for the last few years.

Now I have to walk twice as much to get to my parents' house again.

I'm pretty sure that we will move back to my grandparents' house soon, because Riley's hands are already almost healed, so I doubt that he will need help for much longer.

I frown, when I fell that Nathan pushes me to stand behind him.

I look around, trying to see if there's something dangerous here, but I can't see anything that might have scared him.

"What are you doing?" I ask him.

"Stay quiet." He tells me, so I do that, although I'm sure that I have a frown on my face.

Not much later, I can hear something, but I not sure what.

Nathan takes his gun out, and he points it at one of the trees, but I stop him before he can shoot anyone.

"What's going on?" I ask him, but he doesn't look at me.

"There are a few people on that tree and they're currently planning how to murder us, so your really should let me make sure that they won't have a chance to do that." He tells me, and he keeps looking at the tree.

I let go of his hand, and he quickly shots four times, before the bodies start to drop to the ground.

I look at the four men, and I'm thankful that I don't recognise anyone.

They don't have any smell, so they're most likely the hunter, but that's not good either.

Because if one group of them managed to come here, then I'm sure that there are more of them.

Not much later, the alarm starts to ring, and we decide to stay here until the guards will find us.

When they come here, we quickly tell them what's going on, and a few of the guards go with us to the pack house to make sure that we will get there safely.

To be honest, I would have preferred to go to my parents' house, because I know that Riley's there, but the pack house is closer, so we have to go there.

When we reach it, I tell he guards to make sure that Riley is fine, and they agree to do that, so I lead Nathan towards the safe room.

We sit in the corner, which is reserved for the Alpha's family, and I start to talk with a few of the other family members who are here.

"Where's Riley?" Jeffery asks me.

"In my parents' house." I tell him, and he nods in acknowledgement.

Before either of us can say anything else, we hear that someone's using the gun in the pack house and everyone stops talking.