Chapter 57: The Mechanic Plays Nice

~Author's Note: Hey, Dear Readers! I wrote a bonus chapter as thanks for all of the continued support (and because I had a bout of inspiration for the chapter). This chapter is 7.1 (I know, WAY back there in the past lol). It adds a bit more character to Rikuto. I've neglected him as a character for much of the story, and he gains importance as the story progresses, so I wanted to do him a little justice. In the fiction page, you can find this chapter between chapters 7 and 8, since it fits in sequence with those chapters (it's not written as a flashback or anything).

I hope you continue to enjoy! Thank you again for all of the interaction and support. I truly appreciate it!~

***

Fort Twilight comes into view as the large marching force moves at a steady, but slow pace. Many of those marching are weary soldiers, kept healthy during captivity, but kept marching as much as possible to keep them exhausted so they don't try to rebel. Twenty thousand soldiers are difficult to keep fed, hydrated, and rested without there being resentment, even though Daniel and Hekate didn't have to spare them.

Thankfully, Princess Erimaya is with them as they march, her carriage and escorts fit into the middle of the formation in case there's a surprise attack. Xyreko's golems are forming the perimeter, but they are not all powerful, and protecting Erimaya is the highest priority.

Of course, she and Hekate are playing a game of chess, which Daniel taught them, in order to help pass the time. Daniel is riding on the rear bench of the coach with one of the male knights, though Hekate is easily the most dangerous person present.

Regardless, it's simply an escort mission to see the soldiers and Erimaya safely home.

Ryuogriar, watching the game while sitting next to Erimaya, remarks, "I do not understand this game. Why is the Queen so powerful, but a king so weak?"

Hekate, playing the black pieces, proudly takes her queen, which looks like a miniature version of herself, "Because, Ryuo, look! See? I'm powerful, the queen is powerful. That's why."

"I believe Daniel could defeat you."

Ryuo inspects one of the pawns that have already been captured, which are modeled after the golem soldiers.

"I agree, but..."

Daniel chuckles, having listened through the rear window, which they have open to talk to him. "The game's rules have been around far longer than me. The king is the most important piece, because the game ends when he is trapped. The queen, probably based somewhat on feudal politics, can generally move somewhat freely around courtrooms in comparison behind the curtains, making her able to reach anyone and, were it feasible, assassinate someone. After all, the wrong moves with the queen can endanger the king. Wars aren't won entirely on the battlefield."

Erimaya adds astutely, "And, as Daniel said, 'A queen's battlefields are the court and the ballroom.'" She blushes, murmuring, "My mother always says that to me and my sister."

"I see, now, I see," says Hekate warmly.

Ryuogriar lounges against the corner of the carriage, sighing. "Seems like it still doesn't mirror real battle."

Again, Daniel chuckles. "It is just a game, Ryuo."

She sighs. "And, it's missing the most powerful piece of all; dragons."

"Dragons don't exist on Earth," retorts Hekate cheekily.

"Isn't this you, lady Ryuo?" Erimaya holds up her queen, which Ryuogriar takes for a moment. She gasps. "Oh!? I stand corrected." She hands the piece back, saying proudly, "Yes, this is obviously the most powerful piece."