Chapter 139: Some Persistently Pursue, While Others Begin To Seek Substitutes

Most ninjas are aware that Kekkei Genkai is a powerful innate talent, and many know the essence of Kekkei Genkai.

Kekkei Genkai can be divided into two types. One is bloodline Kekkei Genkai, such as the Sharingan of the Uchiha and the Byakugan of the Hyuga. These are powers inherent in the bloodline.

The other type is formed by mixing Chakra of two different attributes to create a new Chakra. Jutsu performed using this new Chakra is called Kekkei Genkai Ninjutsu.

Examples include the Magnet Release of the Kazekage, the Boil Release and Lava Release of the from Iwa and Kiri, the Ice Release of the Snow Clan, and the Wood Release of the First Hokage of Konoha, Senju Hashirama. All of these belong to Kekkei Genkai.

However, even when using Chakra of the same attribute, differences in individuals or changes in factors such as Chakra proportions can lead to different Kekkei Genkai Ninjutsu. Additionally, even the same Kekkei Genkai may manifest differently.

Beyond Kekkei Genkai, there exists Kekkei Tota, which requires the use of three attributes of Chakra to master powerful techniques. For example, the Dust Release of the Second and Third Tsuchikage falls under Kekkei Tota.

Regardless of the type of Kekkei Genkai, practitioners face extremely high demands. Apart from some innate or externally acquired Kekkei Genkai, those who wish to practice must master Nature Transformation of Chakra to the utmost.

However, the Third Hokage, Sarutobi Hiruzen, was a formidable ninja who mastered all five attributes of Chakra to the utmost. Yet, he possessed no Kekkei Genkai because he never pursued that path.

Instead, he followed another path, one that rivaled most Kekkei Genkai abilities—the path of Combination Ninjutsu.

Combination Ninjutsu involves the usage of two separate techniques, which are then combined after being cast, contrary to Kekkei Genkai Ninjutsu.

The principle relies on the characteristics of various attribute Chakras and the combination of Ninjutsu traits to enable the two techniques to surpass the combined effects of the individual techniques.

The simplest example is Wind Release and Fire Release being cast together, where the wind fuels the fire and the fire utilizes the momentum of the wind. Many ninjas use this small technique, but it cannot be considered Combination Ninjutsu; it's merely a basic approach.

However, the "Fire Release! Ninja Art! Ultra Phoenix Sage Flower Light Wheel Flame Dance 2nd Style," previously coordinated by Tatsuma and Minato, could barely be termed as Combination Ninjutsu because the combination of the two techniques can compete with over a dozen Fire Release: Phoenix Sage Flower Nail Crimson.

The coordination between the two is quite ingenious. For the Shuriken Shadow Clone Jutsu, the best match among Fire Releases is limited to Fire Release: Flame Bullet and Fire Release: Big Flame Bullet. Not just any Fire Release Ninjutsu can be used.

If the Shuriken Shadow Clone Jutsu is combined with Fire Release: Great Fireball Jutsu or Fire Release: Phoenix Sage Fire Jutsu, the Shuriken Shadow Clone will collapse first, burned away by flames before hitting the enemy.

However, Flame Bullet and Big Flame Bullet are different because these two techniques actually spray oil instead of fire. The substance enveloping the Shuriken Shadow Clone is not flames but Chakra-infused fire oil. The outer layer of flames burns the fire oil and does not directly contact the Shuriken.

Therefore, these two techniques can be used in combination to achieve an effect greater than the sum of their parts, which is the charm of Combination Ninjutsu.

As a master of Combination Ninjutsu, Sarutobi Hiruzen studied numerous Combination Ninjutsu techniques. At the same time, he also shared some of his own experiences as gifts with Tatsuma and Minato.