Chapter 165: Beware Of Those Who Like To Praise Enemies

"Tatsuma, what are you constantly looking at on the map?" As they approached Konoha and took their final rest, Sakumo Hatake appeared behind Tatsuma, looking at the ninja world map in her hands with curiosity written all over his face. He quickly noticed the marks and writings on the map, crouching down and pointing to the corners above, asking, "Why did you circle the Land of Earth and the Land of Lightning?"

Tatsuma, who had been lost in thought, snapped out of it and replied, "I just heard some strange rumors these past few days, and it made me feel uneasy."

"What's so strange about it?" Sakumo Hatake handed a half-eaten grilled fish to Tatsuma. It was slightly burnt, but he didn't want to waste it, which was also why he came to find Tatsuma. Without looking, Tatsuma took it and took a bite.

Even without paying attention to the taste of the grilled fish, Tatsuma chewed a few times and swallowed. The Hidden Cloud village ceased its harassment of the northern front lines. Previously, they would occasionally send ninja teams through the ports to probe and harass the northern camps.

Friction had been ongoing, but the Cloud Ninja repeatedly denied involvement in the conflict, even when presented with evidence of their intrusion, claiming they had gotten lost and had nothing to do with the Hidden Cloud village.

Initially, it was thought that the Hidden Cloud village, like a pesky mouse dropping, would continue to cause trouble and tie down Konoha's ninja forces. However, in recent days, they had swiftly withdrawn, and even the ports along the coast of the Land of Lightning showed no signs of Cloud Ninja presence.

Tatsuma felt something was amiss with this behavior. Perhaps it was his ingrained bias against the brutish Cloud Ninjas, but this situation was definitely abnormal. Pointing to the map, Tatsuma said, "From the border of the Land of Lightning to the Hidden Cloud village, it shouldn't take more than three days. Yet, three thousand Cloud Ninja still haven't returned to the village."

Konoha has deployed spies in other countries and ninja villages. While they might not notice important confidential operations, major movements cannot be concealed.

Upon hearing Tatsuma's question, Sakumo Hatake rubbed his stubbled chin and said, "Large troop movements naturally take longer than smaller teams or individuals. It's understandable for them not to return to the village in three days."

Tatsuma shook his head, drawing lines on the Land of Lightning area of the map, and said, "Three thousand Cloud Ninjas, active at the border and these four ports. The nearest port to the Hidden Cloud village is less than a thirty-hour journey on foot, a result of the decreased speed of a large troop."

"Moreover, with four ports and border patrols, if they were returning to the village, their route would cover an extensive area. It's impossible to conceal without anyone noticing. However, our scouts in the villages and towns surrounding the Hidden Cloud village have not spotted their presence."

Upon hearing this, Sakumo Hatake frowned, and Orochimaru, who had appeared behind them at some point, also listened to Tatsuma's explanation while peering at the map.

Just as he was about to hear Tatsuma's reasoning, Tatsuma abruptly stopped and started eating the burnt grilled fish, quickly taking a few bites to fill his stomach. Then Tatsuma said:

"I speculate that after the Cloud Ninjas ceased their harassment of our northern front, their next destination is not to return to the Hidden Cloud village, but rather here."

As he spoke, Tatsuma's pen swiftly crossed the map, creating several intersecting lines that soon formed a focal point.

"Raiko Ridge?" murmured Sakumo Hatake. Tatsuma nodded. This was a high ridge that blocked the cold currents from the Land of Frost, essentially part of the border. Although Sakumo Hatake knew of this location, he didn't understand why Tatsuma would make such an inference.