Chapter 81

Once Eleonor and Elena left the station, Daniel checked that Mila and Marcus continued to sleep peacefully and then settled down next to them to work using the tablet. Daniel didn't have many things to do and in fact he managed to finish all his work before the twins woke up. Since Mila and Marcus were still sleeping, Daniel took the opportunity to cut up fruit to put in the twins' yogurt for a snack. Daniel was finishing preparing snacks for the children when Marcus and Mila woke up. The two children, despite having just woken up, were very calm and also very hungry. Daniel picked up the two children, cuddled them for a few minutes and then took them to the kitchen so that Marcus and Mila could have a snack. Mila and Marcus were sitting on the table while Daniel fed the two children yogurt. Once Mila and Marcus finished having a snack, Daniel picked them up again and then they returned to the relaxation room where all the children's games were. Mila and Marcus started playing with some of the games, but then they started pointing to a box where there were white sheets of paper and some colors inside. Daniel took that box and then together they started taking things out. Inside that box there were colors that the children could use using their hands. Every time they used those colors it ended with the two of them being all colored and it would surely happen that time too. Before Mila and Marcus started using those colors, Daniel had to change their diapers. As soon as Daniel tried to pick up Mila and Marcus, they started running so they wouldn't get caught. Daniel then played along with them and then started chasing them. When Mila and Marcus stopped to see if Daniel was following them, he would get closer to them and then they would start running again. As soon as the two children got tired of running they stretched out their arms towards Daniel so that he could pick them up. After Daniel changed the twins' diapers, Mila and Marcus began dipping their fingers in paint jars and then making lines on the paper. Every time they did something on the paper, before taking more color, they looked at Daniel, clapped their hands and then took more color. Daniel kept saying well done to both of them and the children were very happy. At a certain point both Mila and Marcus, after taking some color with their fingers, touched their shirts, thus dirtying it with color.

Mila: "Oh, oh" she said looking at Daniel and then smiled.

Marcus: "Oh, oh" he said too, looking at Daniel and then both children started laughing.

Daniel: "Oh, oh" he said mocking the twins and they continued laughing.

Mila and Marcus at that point continued to get colored and then dirty and then slowly approached Daniel. He was wearing a white shirt, but despite this, as soon as the children approached him, Daniel let them have fun. Mila and Marcus started coloring Daniel's shirt and then made some colored marks on his face too. Daniel and the kids were having a lot of fun and by the end they all had colorful faces and clothes. Mila and Marcus then started running all over the station and of course Daniel was chasing them. The two children really had a lot of energy, unlike Daniel who was starting to no longer be able to chase the twins. When Daniel managed to catch Marcus and Mila, he picked them up and, as he had already done several times, took the children around the station telling them stories. They then stopped in front of one of Pruitt's photos and Daniel began telling the twins what it was like working with their grandfather.

Daniel: "I met your grandfather when I started the academy and then we started working together. He was truly the best and very often helped me when I found myself in dangerous situations. He and I had a lot of fun playing pranks on the newbies and I remember well the day there were some promotions. We were both promoted to Lieutenant on the same day, but I had to transfer because there were already too many lieutenants in this station and there was no room for me. I was transferred across town and unfortunately we didn't see each other as much as we used to and only saw each other on a few calls" he said as Mila and Marcus listened intently to what Daniel was saying. "For many years we didn't see each other and then the day I became Chief, he was the first to come to me to congratulate me and we talked a lot. Only that day did I discover that he had married your grandmother Elena, but then she had left home and he was left alone with his daughter Andy, your mother. From that day on we started seeing each other much more often and.. your grandfather was stubborn many times" he said with a very small laugh. "I told him many times that he deserved much more than just being a Captain, but that was what he wanted. He liked having his own team to take care of, he always chose each member of the team and always protected everyone even when they made trouble, including me. Your grandfather was the best person I ever knew and his passing was a great loss to everyone. I'm sure he would have been a fantastic grandfather to you two, he would have taken you around the station telling you lots of stories and playing with you"