I'm Not

Niall's POV

Spencer had been in town for the week and we were heading back to London tonight. She had hung out with that Sam guy the other night and was planning to hang out more when she got back to London. I didn't know when, though, seeing she was my girlfriend. Well, not my girlfriend, but close enough.

"Hey Niall," she interrupted my thoughts.

"Yeah?"

"What do you think of Sam?" She says and I scoff.

"You already know."

"So there's nothing good you think about him?"

"He's a rat."

"I'm thinking about telling him you're my boyfriend just for good publicity."

"What?!" She couldn't be serious.

"What?"

"No way."

"Why? I like him."

"You don't know him at all."

"I didn't know you, and we became friends."

"Yeah and I'm not some guy at a bar."

"Right you're a boy-band member that needed a fake girlfriend to get the media off his ass."

"Is that supposed to be an insult?"

"Take it however you want, but I like this guy."

"Great. Then have fun. Tell him whatever you want."

"Ni-"

"No. Go have a blast with douchebag Sam."

"He's not a douchebag."

"Fine dick, cunt, whatever word you prefer."

"Niall!"

"What?"

"Why are you acting like this?"

"Like what?"

"A dick?"

"I'm not!"

"Keep telling yourself that." She says and stomps away in the airport to the terminal.

"Really?!" I shout and she doesn't turn. I run up and take her arm. She doesn't turn. She actually turns away and tries to shrug me off.

"Spencer-"

"Shut up."

"Hey!"

"I don't give a fuck." She spats, her face still turned away. I go in front of her and she looks at me tears brimming.

"Wait, am I missing something?" I say nervously.

"No lets go."

"Spen-"

"I said lets go." She grits her teeth and walks on.

Our flight is called and we get on silently. There are only several other people on the plane. Probably because we are flying back at midnight, but it's still good. Spencer stares out the window and I elbow her. She slowly turns her head.

"What." She says flatly.

"What offended you so much?"

"I like this guy, and you're trying to ruin him for me!"

"He's not that great!"

"You don't know him Niall."

"I can tell he's a dick."

"He is not!"

"I'm trying to protect you."

"Why do you need to protect me?"

"Because you're my best friend."

"That doesn't mean you have that right."

"Yeah it does."

"Sam is not the dick, you are."

"Oh really?"

"Yeah you are Niall. After we get off the plane, don't talk to me. Call me when you need publicity or shit, but leave me alone. You've pissed me off for sure. I'll call you if I ever even need your help. So, I ask you to please shut the fuck up."

"Don't be stupid about this!"

"I'm not." She states and turns her head away. I grab her arm and she shakes it off.

"Spencer." I say.

"Spencer?" I repeat.

"You can't be serious! You're my best friend." I yell.

"No I'm not." She snaps and looks at me. She has tears in her eyes.

"You don't have to do this."

"Yeah it had to happen sometime."

"No it doesn't!"

"Yeah Niall! It fucking does." She cries.

"Why?"

"Because you're famous. You'll find a girl and I won't be able to stick around."

"Yes you will."

"No I won't!" She shouts and buries her head in her lap. I rub her back and she doesn't smack my arm away. I bend down to her level and rest my head on her leg.

"Hey. It'll be alright. I'll leave Sam alone." I say.

"You really think that's it?" She mumbles.

"No, I know that's not it. I won't lose you because we aren't faking a relationship anymore."

"It's a nice thought, but Niall-"

"No buts." I say. I kiss the back of her head lightly and sit up. She slowly sits herself up as well. Her head rests on my shoulder and she closes her eyes. I may pretend to be okay with her and Sam, but I know I'm not.