Talk

Niall's POV

Spencer comes downstairs with Lily and tells me something I don't want to hear. Her dad wanted to talk to me. I can barely make eye contact with the guy and this morning's talk took a lot of that courage away. She says that her and Lily will wait for me. I thank them for that.

I head upstairs and her father is standing at the door. He ushers me in and leans on his desk. It's like a meeting room in here. Why is life like a business to this guy?

"Hi Niall." He says.

"Hi Spencer's dad." I answer.

"Well, my daughter really is special, isn't she?" He asks.

"Yes, and I've known this for awhile."

"Good, good."

"Yes." I say awkwardly.

"So, Spencer is your girlfriend. At first she was paid, but now you two have fallen for one another?" He asks.

"Yes, but Spencer told me she never told you or her mother about that before." I answer.

"Lily told me." He says.

"Oh, alright. So, why did you want me to talk to you?"

"Well, I want to know more about you. I want to see if you're right for Spencer or not."

"Well, I'm from Ireland, I'm happy with my job in one direction, I have a family I love, and my best friend is my girlfriend."

"Thats nice. About your job, how much time will you be away from Spencer?"

"Well, we go on tour in two weeks and stay on tour for a few months. The girls are usually allowed to come for several days on a kind of vacation. They can stay longer if they want."

"That's good, how about when you guys are here? How much do you work when you are home?"

"Well, I actually have two homes. With my mother and here in London. But back to your question, we had two months break after the tour this year and have meetings at least once a week. We have also been working on another album, so that requires more time. However, we have time for the people that matter most."

"Is my daughter included?"

"Yes. Spencer is definitely included."

"Good. That's what I like to hear. You know Niall, you are very different than the people Spencer dated before. She was seen more with a nerd crowd. But, around the time of Lily's party she seemed to find strange people. I do remember one boy in particular. His name was Mark. He was a pain in the ass. Excuse my language, but he was and I believe she lived with him after we told her to leave."

"I heard about Mark. He broke up with your daughter and sort of rented the old apartment to her. Then, we came back from the tour. I looked for an apartment specifically with two bedrooms and-"

"So you did not have feelings for my daughter until recently?"

"Well, I didn't tell her this, but I had fallen for her about a month after we met. I didn't to ruin our friendship, so I kept it in. Then she started seeing this guy named Sam and it killed me. I hated the guy. He wasn't enough for Spencer. I honestly don't think any guy will be."

"What's makes her special to you?"

"She's just Spencer. Her only flaw is that she always seems to go for the loser guys. I guess that makes me a loser too, but I know I'm better for her than Sam or that Mark guy. I don't even know Mark, but he made her go through a lot she's told me and I hate him for that. Spencer is caring, and fun to be with. She can make any situation seem better. When she's sad, I feel like the entire world is grey. When she has fun, she laughs like crazy. I'm finally not the only person to have a crazy laugh. You don't know how amazing it is to know someone with a laugh as mad as mine."

"So you really do appreciate her."

"Yes! I can't stress that enough."

"Well, you have my blessing to date my daughter." He says and I smile. I was afraid I was going to have to ask after this conversation.

"Thank you." I say and he nods.

"Alright, go have fun." He says.

I run down the stairs and to the girls. Spencer looks at me funny because I'm smiling like I am. We all walk out to the car and decide to go to the movies. It's dark, so no one should spot us. Just in case, Spencer and I take out our nifty hats and glasses. It's a lame disguise, but it usually works. Lily is waiting outside and Spencer asks me something.

"Why were you so happy before?"

"I had a good talk with your dad."

"And?"

"Let's just say everything is working out." I say and kiss her cheek across the car.

"You're weird." She says and smiles at me.

Lily knocks on the car, startling us. We turn and see her laughing at our surprised faces.

"C'mon lovebirds. Get out of the car. Let's go before we miss the movie."