Fly Away Home

Spencer's POV
Eleanor stared at me the entire flight home. I finally got tired of the look and closed my eyes. I needed to be alone. I curled up on the couch. I squeezed my body tightly. I was angry at myself.
Why? Why did he even have to ask that? And then he turned around and told me not to call him when I landed. He didn't think we could work a problem out over the phone. Was he just trying to test that? Did he want to get me angry? It seemed so. Niall never pushed me like this. Sure, we've had spats, but this was too much at once! He questioned the structure of our relationship! Frustrated, I fall asleep hoping my dreams will have some answer.
*
"It's almost time to land." Eleanor says and makes me jump.
"Thanks." I answer and sit up. I buckle myself in and rest my head on the back of the couch.
"Any better?" She asks.
"No."
"You'll work this out. Niall won't give up and neither will you."
"You think?"
"Don't worry."
"I can't help but worry."
"Well, that's better than not caring, I guess."
"Oh I definitely care."
"I know. It'll be okay."
"Thanks." I say and smile at her.
I think the only reason I wasn't crying was because I knew we couldn't be over just like that. Niall and I love each other and some spat isn't going to change that. I was going to call him when we land. It would be well past the show's end, seeing we flew from America. Who cares if he's sleeping?
Eleanor comes back to the apartment with me seeing it's closer to the airport than her and Louis's. I pull out my laptop and Skype says Niall is online. I video call. It ends right away. I try again. It ends. Third time. It ends. And then it says he's not online. He logged off of Skype. I call his phone. It goes straight to voicemail. I call three more times and he doesn't answer. Now, I feel tears brimming. Eleanor comes over and rubs my back and hugs me. It doesn't solve my problem. She takes out her phone and calls someone.
"Get over there...I'm sorry...okay, I get it you were sleeping, but this is important...please...thank you...I love you too...bye." She says. It was Louis she called.
"He's going to Niall's room." She says and sits next to me on the couch. My phone buzzes. It's Louis.
Louis: I'm in. What do you want me to do exactly?
Me: get him to go on Skype please. I need to talk to him.
Louis: he says he won't :(
Me: :'( please try
Louis: he says fine, but he wants to talk to you alone, not with El
Me: whatever works.
I take the laptop into my bedroom and sit down on the bed. Skype rings in a minute and I click the answer button immediately. Niall stares at the screen blankly. He's never given me this look before. A few tears escape, but I wipe them away.
"Hi." I say weakly. He doesn't answer.
"I'm sorry." I say and look down.
"I was just confused, I guess, on why you would ask me that. It scared me because I thought we couldn't fix us if something went wrong and I don't want that to happen. And then when you said you thought we couldn't, I got angry. That's why I left." I say. I can't look up until he says something. He doesn't. We sit there in silence.
"Can you just say something-" I stop. He's not there anymore. My phone buzzes.
Louis: he just stormed out. What did you do?!
Me: I apologized! Come to the computer screen.
"What happened?" He asks.
"I don't know!" I say and let out a sob.
"I'll tell you when I find out where he went. Alright?" He asks and I nod.
"Alright. Goodbye." He says and ends the call. I slam the laptop shut and lay down on the bed. The tears drop out of my eyes slowly. Why couldn't he just talk to me? I suddenly feel extremely tired and uncomfortable having my eyes open. I close my eyes and tell myself Eleanor will realize I'm going to sleep. Then, I do just that. I try to sleep my anger away. I don't care if its 11 am. I'm tired.
*
Eleanor wakes me up. I roll to see the time. It's 5pm. I groan. I could still probably sleep tonight if I still feel this sick. Yeah. I feel completely sick. My head hurts and my stomach feels flopped. I've never felt this way about a guy before, but there's no one like Niall.
"Spencer, sit up." She says and I don't move.
"Sit up." She say and I groan.
"Sit! Up!" She yells and pulls me up.
"Fine. Happy now?" I ask.
"Thrilled. Now, please take a shower. You'll feel better."
"Are you implying a smell?"
"No, but you're going to if you don't shower."
"Fine." I grumble and grab a pair of shorts, underwear, and a new bra. I also pick out a big bright orange sweatshirt Niall got me that says "the Irish love me," back from one of the many times we visited his mom. I smile at the thought of Niall and head to the bathroom. I take a shower. She was right. I do feel a bit better now that I've showered. I walk out of the bathroom in my new clothes and she smiles at me.
"Better?" She asks.
"A bit." I confess and sit next to her on the couch.
"It'll be alright." She says.
Moments later, there's a loud knock on the door. I look at her confused and she shrugs her shoulders. She gets up and points that she's going to the bathroom. The person knocks again and I stand up and head for the door. They knock again. I look out the peep hole and no one is there. That's weird. They knock again as I turn around. I whip the door open. Niall is there, staring at the floor.
"What-"
"No don't say anything else." He says and looks up at me. He's been crying too.
"I love you." He says and wraps his arms around me. I freeze at his touch.
"I'm not going to give you up. I'm not that stupid." He says.
I finally gain the strength lift my arms and to squeeze him back. I bury my head in his chest and a small sob escapes my mouth. I can't believe he's here. I feel one of his hands pet my head and the other arm squeeze me tighter.
"I'm sorry." I whisper. I look up at him and he smiles.
"We're idiots." He says and I laugh.
"Yes. Yes we are. How are you even here?"
"We don't have a show until next week. I realized how stupid I was and left the computer. I made it just in time for a flight to London. The airport was hell to get through, but I made it." He says and grins proudly.
"I love you." I say and kiss him. He holds me tighter and lifts me slightly off the ground.
"Well, my work is done here." I hear Eleanor say behind me and I laugh, breaking the kiss.
"Thank you." I mouth and she exits the apartment.
I stand on Niall's feet and he walks us into the house. I feel like a little kid, but I wasn't ready to let go of him just yet. He did just fly from America to see me.