News

Niall's POV

We were all falling asleep on the plane ride to America. I'm shocked Zayn is still awake. He seems to be zoned out about something.

"Hey, what's wrong?" I ask.

"Just thinking." He answers.

"About...?"

"Perrie."

"Is something wrong?"

"I don't know. I haven't talked to her in a week. I get she's busy, but she'll usually text me goodnight, or hi, or anything."

"That's different."

"Yeah I know."

"Well, they're over here. You can see her. We have a week off when we land to get used to the time zones. Why don't you go see her?"

"Good idea." He says.

"I'm full of em." I say and he laughs.

"Why are you laughing?" I ask.

"Cause you're weird." He says and puts his seat back.

"You're weird."

"Mhm sure."

*

We land at the airport, and Zayn gets a wide smile. I guess he's happy to be here-oh. I see why he's smiling. Perrie is here. Something looks off, though. She smiles, but she smiles funny. And when Zayn hugs her, she doesn't really hug back. It's more like she's hugging a cousin. I overhear her say she needs to talk to him, alone. That's never a good thing. Zayn looks at her worried. Then he looks to Paul and points around the corner. Paul gives him a look and follows him.

Zayn comes back around the airport corner. He's angry. Paul follows slowly behind. Zayn grabs the handle on his suitcase and walks quickly to the van. I see Perrie around the corner, looking around. I walk over.

"What happened?" I ask her.

"It's not there anymore." She says quietly.

"What's not there?"

"Whatever I felt before. I don't know where it went. We're too far apart now. It's time to admit it. I don't want to lose him as a friend, but I can't be with him in a relationship anymore. It's been over for awhile. Can you get that through to him?" She asks.

"I-I don't know." I respond.

"Alright. Well, maybe I'll see you sometime soon."

"Yeah, maybe with Spencer or one of the girls." I say awkwardly.

I turn to walk with the other guys. Perrie says goodbye and walks to a rental car, striding calmly the entire way. I catch up with everyone in the car. Zayn stares out the window. He seems pale.

He doesn't say a word for the rest of the day. He doesn't eat. He just walked around with us, like a ghost. I'm splitting a hotel room with him, so I may get to talk to him tonight.

To my surprise, when I walk in the room at 10pm EST, he's not there. His suitcase is thrown on his bed, but no Zayn. Seems this was going to be really hard on him.

Authors Note:

So, I hope you're enjoying Failing to Quit because it is almost over! There will be a third book, as you may have predicted from this chapter. I love Perrie, but I really wanted to do a Zayn fanfic and continue with this story line. After that, I'll probably do a whole new storyline with a new series. I'll post the Zayn fanfic "Stuck" soon, so keep an eye out for it. Thank you for reading! You mean the world to me. Much Love, The Author