Chapter Thirty-Seven

Chapter 37:

"Babe..." JJ said in her sleepy voice as Christen clung to her chest still asleep.

Julie sighed at the sight of her girlfriend and unconsciously began running her fingers through her loose hair.

"If you want me to wake up anytime soon, I suggest you stop doing that." Christen mumbled against her chest.

"Hm good morning and I was afraid to wake you cause you looked so beautiful and at peace."

Christen looked up and wiggled her way up until she could reach Julie's lips.

"Good morning to you, too." She smiled, closing the gap but making sure it didn't turn into something greater.

"Have I mentioned how much I love waking up like this?" Julie smiled, moving her hand down Christen's back and lightly scratching her lower back under her shirt.

"You've might have mentioned it a few times." Christen said smiling back and laying her head back on Julie's chest. "What time is it?"

"Well we have pregame meeting at 10 and it's only 9 so we don't have to get up yet." She replied, kissing the top of her head.

"Yo, Press, JJ! Let me in!" Syd pounded on the door. 

Christen groaned. "So much for not getting up."

She slowly walked to the door and let in a panting Syd.

"What happened?!" Christen asked, closing the door.

"So...I...decided...to prank Pinoe by having HAO sneak me into their room and I dumped a bunch of those vibrating spider things on her while she was sleeping. Luckily, I was able to run out of her room before she caught up to me so I'm hiding in here." She finally got out.

"Well okay. I'm going to get me and JJ some coffee then." Christen said laughing and walking to the bedside table, grabbing her key.

"Be back soon." She smiled giving Julie a small kiss which Syd groaned at.

"You do know you are in our room?" Julie asked Syd. "Two creamers please!" She called after Christen who was by the door.

"I know!" She yelled back, closing the door.

"Press!" Pinoe yelled down the hall, sprinting at her. "Have you seen Syd?!"

She acted dumb. "No why?"

"Prank...I'm pissed...need to get her."

"I haven't seen here." Christen laughed walking passed her. "But if I do, I'll tell you."

Christen eventually made her way to the small coffee shop across the street.

"Uh yes. Two coffees. One with two creamers and one energy blast shot.  And the other with just two creamers." She told the barista before taking a seat.

"Hey Press!" Tobin said sitting next to her.

"Oh hey Tobin. Getting coffee for you and Alex?"

"Yep. I'm guessing you're here doing the same for JJ."

Christen shook her head yes.

"How are you two?"

"What do you mean?"

"Like I don't know. How's the relationship going? I know it's only been a week or so but how are you guys?"

"It's going good...great actually. It's so much easier being in love with your best friend than some random stranger. You should know that."

Tobin's eyes went wide.

"Hold on. You just said you were in love...have you told her that?"

"Yes." Christen laughed. "She said it first shockingly but yes that barrier of our relationship has been broken."

"I'm not surprised. Me and Alex said I love you pretty quick. It is easier when it's your best friend."

The barista came with all of their drinks and the girls thanked her.

"But no me and Julie are doing great, I mean besides the whole 'getting interrupted while we are in bed' it's gone pretty smoothly."

Tobin laughed. "Yeah get used to that. Our teammates have terrible timing when it comes to that kind of thing. I think Hope and Kelley are the only ones who have yet to get interrupted."

She checked her watch quickly.

"We should probably get back. We have the team meeting soon and our girlfriends may kill us if their coffees are cold."

"Your girlfriend might kill you, mine is a cinnamon roll." Christen smirked grabbing the coffees.

"Oh shut up." Tobin said rolling her eyes.

It was around 9:55 and since Tobin and Christen texted their girls to meet them in the conference room, they headed straight there.

"Your coffee." Christen smiled handing Julie hers.

"And Lex, here's yours." Tobin said, giving her a quick kiss on the cheek.

"Ugh. Too much cuteness." Pinoe joked while making gagging sounds.

"Columbia!" Jill started as she walked into the room. "Later today, first game of the knockout round, the game that sets our pace for the rest of the tournament. I want nothing less than a 110%. Pinoe, Cheney, remember you both have yellow cards so don't do anything that may result in getting another one. Okay we leave for the stadium in about six hours so don't be late! Off you go!"

The six hours passed somewhat quickly and most everyone chilled in their rooms. Carli went on her run, JJ and Press walked together, nothing was out of the norm.

The team loaded up the bus and headed to the stadium.

"Okay ladies, yes it is Columbia but that doesn't mean we play down to their level. We need to play the game we play and not give two damns about the trash talk they have been doing." Abby stated.

Warm ups went well and the game started. Everything was off it seemed and not to long into the game both Cheney and Pinoe picked up second yellow cards of the tournament but they got a break when Alex got a breakaway and the goalkeeper slid harshly into her, earning herself a red card and giving them a PK.

Jill decided before the game that Abby would take the first PK since she is a veteran and is one of the best on the team.

Then disaster struck. She missed wide left of the goal on Columbia's third string keeper. The teams spirits were deflated and Abby knew that she messed up.

Alex got a break when her shot snuck past the keeper and into the back of the net. Then Carli nailed her PK later on in the game. The final whistle blew and they won 2-0 but no one was happy with the outcome especially knowing that the next game they wouldn't have Pinoe or Cheney.

No one really talked that night and the next morning they had to fly to Ottawa. As they were loading the plane, some reporters were of course there and Alex got stopped by one to talk about her goal against Columbia.

After a few soccer questions, the reporter threw in something that Jill warned her about.

"So Alex, obviously there are rumors about you and Tobin Heath dating? Any comments?"

Alex was taken back by the question and automatically looked for Tobin but couldn't find her.

"No comment."

"So you're not denying it?"

"No comment."

"You could put all the rumors to rest if you just say the truth."

"The truth is this is the World Cup and that's about soccer, not about mine nor Tobin's relationships." She said stalking off onto the plane.