Chapter Forty-Six

Chapter 46:

Hope woke up to an empty bed which was unusual because she always wakes up before Kelley.

Panicked, she jumped out of bed to see if Kelley left a note which luckily she did.

"Babe, I went on a walk to clear my mind since its game day. -Kels"

It seemed harmless to anyone else but Hope knew that Kelley only went on walks when she was nervous or not happy.

Hope waited impatiently, laying on the bed, in their room for Kelley to come back and about after fifteen minutes, the door opened.

"Hey I hope you saw my note." She said kicking off her shoes.

Hope propped herself up on her elbow, looking at Kelley. "Yeah we need to talk."

Kelley sighed knowing that Hope knew something was wrong so she walked over and laid next to her.

"What's wrong?" She asked.

"Nothing." Kelley lied, trying not to make eye contact.

"I know you're lying and I don't like when you lie to me."

Kelley turned and wiggled her face against Hope's chest, cuddling her close.

"You're scaring me." Hope mumbled into Kelley's hair, wrapping her arms tightly around her.

"Do you think I'll play today?" She blurted out.

"Where's this coming from?"

"I mean I started against China because Pinoe and Cheney were out. Do you think I played well enough against them to show Jill that I can make a difference?"

"Kels, I've told you a thousand times that I think you should play every game because you are amazing. An amazing forward, a great midfielder, a fantastic defender. If Jill doesn't see that then she's an idiot."

"But this is Germany, not the NWSL. What if I can't hold my own?" She asked shyly.

"You can kick Germany's ass any day and I wouldn't be surprised if you score today." Hope smiled, kissing the top of her head.

"Yeah okay. Score my first international score against Germany, yeah right." Kelley said rolling her eyes at her.

Hope smirked. "Not with that attitude."

Kelley eventually calmed down and game time came quickly.

"Ready?" Christen asked as JJ finished lacing up her boots.

"Yep ready to kick ass."

"Like always, babe. Good luck and don't get injured."

"Never." Julie smiled, giving her a small kiss.

"Score for me?" Hope asked while smirking.

Kelley rolled her eyes. "If I get in then yes, and as long as you don't let any goals in."

"Deal. Wish me luck." Hope said clapping her gloves together.

"Good luck."

The lineups were given, the national anthems played, and then it was kickoff.

It was a pure battle on the pitch, fouls were being committed, shoving was going on, it was like war.

But the worse happened on accident. Germany won a free kick about 25 yards out and as Goessling served it in, Popp and Morgan collided heads.

"Oh shit!" Kling said aloud as she watched her best friend fall to the ground hopelessly.

Hope saw the collision and right when the ball was cleared out, she ran to her side.