Chapter Forty-Eight

Chapter 48:

"We gotta go, Lex." Tobin said sternly buttoning up her shirt.

"Why?" She whined, hoping off the counter.

"Emergency team meeting and it seems important."

Alex nodded. "Let's go."

Tobin and Alex got back to the hotel as fast as they could and went straight to the conference room.

"What's happening?" Tobin asked finding her seat.

"None of us know yet." Kelley answered shyly.

Alex searched the room. "Who called this meeting?"

"Jill did and all the veterans are with her right now and Cheney."

Tobin raised an eyebrow. "Why is Cheney with them?"

"We don't know." ARod said looking down at her hands.

The room went quiet again, like awkward silence.

Several minutes passed until Jill and the entire coaching staff plus the missing players entered.

"Ladies." Jill said with a hint of sadness in her voice.

"What's going on?" Ali asked, holding Ashlyn's hand tightly.

"A very hard decision was made a few weeks ago by a fellow teammate and I have just been informed and so has the entire coaching staff and veterans."

The team sat emotionless in their seats and soaked in every word their head coach was saying, trying to understand what was happening.

"This isn't going to be the easiest thing for you all to hear especially with the final coming up." She continued.

"What is it?" Moe asked quietly.

Jill turned towards Cheney. "Lauren, wanna take it from here?"

Cheney nodded and stepped up a little facing her teammates and friends.

"As you all know, this team has been my life for almost 8 years and it has been the best years of my life. I've given my life to this team and it has given me some of the greatest friendships possible. I never though my soccer career would have taken me this far. I have two Olympic gold medals, a World Cup silver medal, an NWSL championship, and hopefully in three days, a World Cup gold medal."

"Where is this going, Chen?" Tobin questioned in a whisper, worried about her best friend.

"As much as I love this team and the sport, I also love my family. And this decision has been on going since the end of the last year's NWSL season. I just want you all I love every single one of you and this isn't easy for me to say."

"You're scaring me, Chen." ARod said.

Cheney met her sad eyes and nodded. "Sorry so here it is. After this World Cup and hopefully a victory tour, I will be retiring from international play and most likely from the NWSL."

Everyone felt their breath catch in their throats and heads turned immediately to Tobin and ARod who were sitting next to each other.

"What?" They both said with tears in their eyes, letting the news sink in.

Cheney looked up at them and started tearing up also. "I've wanted to tell you guys for awhile now but I couldn't find the words. It's hard leaving but it's just something I have to do."

"Why so soon?" Tobin asked with a cracked voice and standing up. "You could be like Christie or Boxxy. You don't have to leave."

"I would if Jrue wasn't a professional athlete either. I'm so sorry guys." Cheney said tears running down her face, approaching the pair.