Chapter Forty

Chapter 40:

Ali read the article and then read it again. She knew Tobin's quote was purposefully for her and Ashlyn and she hated how right Tobin was. Ali was selfish for telling Ashlyn that she didn't want to come out because of her father but that doesn't change the fact that Ashlyn wouldn't understand.

Ashlyn read Tobin's quote and immediately wanted to know if Ali has seen it. She was in the hall reading it on her phone cause she didn't want Pinoe and Syd to hear her quiet sobs and her heart wanted her to go knock on Ali's door but her head told her not to. She closed her phone and pocketed it, leaving her to think in quiet. She felt her phone buzz but she thought it was just Tobin checking up on her so she didn't look at. A few minutes later, Ashlyn decided to go to bed so she opened the door and crashed on the couch in the room without even checking her phone before falling asleep.

Ali waited. She sent the text over an hour ago, the text to Ashlyn that said she wanted to talk and she was sorry but she has yet to get a reply. Times like these are the times were she wished Ashlyn had her read receipts on. Once the clock hit midnight, four hours after she sent the text, she knew Ashlyn was ignoring her. The tears began rolling down her cheeks and she held on to her phone tightly. That night she cried herself to sleep thinking Ashlyn wanted nothing to do with her.

Ashlyn woke up the next day with puffy eyes, knowing that she cried throughout the night. It was about 8:45 and breakfast was at 9 and training at 10 so she slowly got up, changed, and headed down to breakfast, completely leaving her phone on the table.

Ali sat quietly at breakfast. Her teammates at first tried to keep her in the conversation but eventually gave up. It was almost 9 and Ashlyn still wasn't there which made Ali think she was avoiding here. Not too long later, the doors swung open revealing a tired Ashlyn. No one said anything as the ex-couple locked eyes for the first time since their fight. Ali held back the tears and Ashlyn bowed her head before sitting next to Tobin and Syd.

Thankfully at traning, Ali and Ash were never on the same team so Ashlyn didn't have to direct Ali on the back line and they were able to keep their distance.

"I don't think your plan worked, Tobs." Alex said cuddling into her side once they got back from training.

"I thought it would work. It's just so stupid." Tobin groaned.

"Why is it stupid?"

"The reason why they broke up."

"What do you mean?"

"The stupid coming out. They have been together for two and a half years, were planning on getting married, but then they argue about going public and everything just ends. It just sickens me."

"They have their opinions, Tobin. Ashlyn shouldn't have pushed Ali so much and Ali shouldn't have been so unwilling to come out."

"I'm going to go talk to Ali." Tobin said trying to get up but Alex pulled her back down.

"No she doesn't want to get lectured by anyone right now."

Tobin sighed knowing her girlfriend was right.

"Pinoe can you toss me my phone?" Ashlyn asked laying on Syd's bed.

"Yeah you have a few messages by the way." She replied, throwing the phone to her friend.

Ashlyn saw the notifications.

Text from Tobin.
Kyle' tweet at her.
Tagged on Instagram by some teammates.
Text from Ali.
More Twitter notifications.

"Holy shit..." Ashlyn mumbled out realizing she had a text from Ali.

"What?" Pinoe asked.

"Nothing." She replied quickly before opening the text.