Chapter 1: Meeting Jonathan Lee Martinez

Heather went to school, her arms covered in bruises and her black eye covered with make up.  This is when John comes down one of the halls of Lincoln High.

********

The sweater constantly reminded me of the pain Greg inflicted on me.  I was walking down the hallway occasionally pushing my glasses up my nose.  My eyes were too irritated to wear my contacts.  Someone tripped me and I fell dropping everything.  "Clutzy Clark returns.  Another day on the embarrass train."

 Someone approached me and picked up everything for me.  I searched the floor for my glasses.  The guy crouched in front of me and set my stuff down.  He slid my glasses into place for me.  He was unbelieveably gorgeous.

"There."  He stood grabbing my stuff in one arm and reaching out his free hand.  "Come on, let me help.  I don't bite."  I took his hand and he pulled me up.  "Could you spare a moment to show me around Lincoln High?"

"I-I.."

"Please?"  His eyes were so blue and he was so hot, I was lost in a daze.

"What's you're first class?"

"Geometry with Mrs. Larson."

"Mine too."  He held out his schedule and I compared.  He has the same classes and his locker is right beside mine.

"Awesome, same classes.  A pretty girl like you, it's worth it."

"Don't flatter yourself."

"Hey, be nice."  

He sat beside me in class.  My sleeve slid when I raised my hand.  I abruptly dropped it when saw John looking.  "Did you have an answer Heather?"

"Um, no sir.  May I move up to the front row?  My eyes are irritated and I can't see very well."

"Yeah, go ahead."

"Thank you."  I moved up.

After class, John followed me and caught my arm.  He slid the sleeve of my jacket up.  "Where'd these come from?"

"No where."  I said.

"Heather, these are fingerprints."

"It was an accident.  I almost fell yesterday and my brother caught me."

"I'm supposed to believe that."

"You don't even know me, John."  I shook him off.  "You know nothing about me."  I walked away.

"Heather, come on."

~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'

Why did she seem so familiar?  I watched her walk away and called my dad.  "Dr. Martinez."

"Dad, it's John."

"Hey son.  How's school?"

"Fine.  Dad, do you know a Heather Clark?"

"John, Heather is the girl that we ran into when we were jogging the perimeter a few year ago.  She's been from foster home to foster home."

"Why?"  I asked.

"Don't know."  he admitted.

"I have to go.  I'll be late."  I hung up and jogged in Heather's direction catching up easily.  "So are you a sophomore or a junior?"

"Junior."

"At 15?"

"I do have a brain you know."

"I was just going to say you must be really smart.  Why hang out with a dumb guy like me?  Is it my looks?"

"You're the one that wants to hang out with me."  she said obviously irritated with my questions.

"Should I go?"

"You don't have to.  I could use the image improvement."  she joked.

"Why thank you."  I said sarcastically.  She sat down at one of the tables and I took my seat beside her.

"What's your full name?"

"Jonathan Lee Martinez, you?"

"Heather Ann Clark."

"Pleased to meet you."

~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~

After school, John was walking outside with me.  "Do you need a ride in the morning?"

"Nah, my dad drops me off."  I said.

"Just let me know okay?"

"Is this your way of asking me out?"  I looked at him in disbelief.

"Uh.."  he blushed.

"Just picking on you.  I have to go.  It was nice meeting you and everything."

"You too.  Catch ya later."  He said brushing my hair behind my ear.

"Bye."  I walked to my brother's car.

"Who's that?"  Jared asked.

"A friend.  I gave him a tour of the school."

"More than just a friend if you ask me."

"No one asked you Jared."  He grabbed my hair jerking my head back.  I saw John walking down the sidewalk.   Jared pulled me into a hug to cover for himself.

"Dad's gonna flip."  he said with a sickening laugh.

At home, I immediately started my chores and kept my mouth shut.  My foster mom was currently sober, but the question was: How long would she be sober?

~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~

While jogging the perimeter, all I could think about was Heather.  She was perfect in everyway.

The next day, at school, Heather kept her eyes averted when I sat down.  "Hi."  No response came from her.  "How's it going?"  she just grabbed her bag and pulled out a notebook and pencil.  "All righty then."  I couldn't even see her face.  Second day of school for me and the teacher wants us to do a project with partners.  She picked them and gave us a paper.  "Gonna have to talk to me some time partner."

The day seemed to drag on slower than yesterday.  Maybe it's because Heather didn't want to talk to me.  Who knows?