Chapter 2: Realizing the Truth

This chapter starts off in John's point of view.  It is after the full day of avoidance from Heather.

~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~

I went to bed at about 10:30 in need of time to myself and to think.  As I dozed off, I thought about that day a few years ago when we ran into Heather while jogging the perimeter.  The look of fear on her face, the black eye, the bruises on her arms.  She didn't want to go back home, but she had to.

I dreamed about taking her away from foster families completely so she could be with me.  She's my mate and no one shall touch her in any way.  She doesn't deserved to be hurt.  Just like that, I woke up and shifted grabbing extra clothes.  I ran toward Heather's house at lightning speed and climbed up the tree.  I could see her sleeping in her bed, an open book resting beside her.  I watched her from the branch I perched on in fear of an intruder.  Whoever has hurt her will definitely have to deal with me.

Although the words were barely above a whisper, I heard Heather say my name.  A light came on in the room beside Heather's and I jumped down and hid behind the tree.  The curtain opened and I saw a little girl about 3 years old.  She was adorable and had to have been Heather's sister.

Morning came and I shifted back to human and pulled on my jeans and t-shirt.  I went to the front door and knocked knowing both parents and her brother were gone.  I knocked on the door.  I heard footsteps and the door opened.  When Heather saw that it was me she tried to shut the door.  "Good morning to you too."  I caught a glimpse at her eye and lip.  I pushed the door open hard enough to get her to let go.  "Who did that?"

"No one.  I fell."  she had the sickening smell of her brother all over her.  Her hand bruised up.

"Did you brother do this to you?"

"Just go John."  she was panicking.

"Heather, come on."  The little girl hid behind Heather.  She saw me.  "Hi. I'm John, what's your name?"

"Her name is Haven."

"That's a pretty name."  I stepped in and Heather closed the door.

"Is there a reason why you're here?"

"Project?"

"Where's your stuff?"

"At home.  Go change and we'll go there."

"I have to babysit Haven."

"She can come too.  I won't leave until you come with."  She went to change taking Haven with her.  I called my dad.

"Son, where have you been?"

"Dad, I need help."

~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~

I changed and helped Haven change.  I grabbed my pepperspray and put it in my purse.  I went downstairs just as John finished a phone call.  I grabbed Haven's bag of toys and we left.  John's hand touched my back.  He had Haven's hand.  One thing he didn't know was that she was my daughter.  We got to his house and he opened the door for us.  Haven wanted me to pick her up and when I did she hid her face in my shoulder noticing everyone standing in the kitchen.  I didn't like the feeling I was getting one bit.  As soon as John stepped away the feeling grew worse.  His touch comforted me and now that I didn't feel it I grew nervous.  "Heather, this is my family."  The older woman who I assumed was his mother saw my face.  One of the guys was in a police uniform and the other in an EMS uniform.  I turned and left.  John followed me.  "Let me help you please?"

"You can't John."

"Why not?  Heather I like you a lot.  I care about you more than anything in the world."

"Because Haven will be taken from me."

"You're sister will stay with you."

"She's not my sister."  I looked at him.  He was confused and concerned.  "She's my daughter."  He pulled me and Haven into his warm arms.

At the hospital, I held onto John's arm while the police made me file a report against my foster family.  I was the right thing to do, but I felt like I was doing something wrong.  "Is Haven Jared's or?"

"His friend took advantage of me.  Haven's only 1.  She was diagnosed with cancer 3 months ago.  Adoption wasn't an option for me.  I don't want to give her up."

"You don't have to Heather.  You and Haven are going to stay with me and my family."  He pressed a kiss to my forehead.  "I'll be right back okay?"

"Okay."  He left the room.

John took me to my foster parent's home and I watched my brother get handcuffed and placed in a squad car.  John got out and opened my door.  I unbuckled Haven and took John's hand.  We went inside and John grabbed my suitcases.  He set them on my bed.  "Do you want me to get Haven packed?"

"I'll get it."  While I packed, John held the sleeping Haven.

"Can I ask a question?"

"I can't guarentee an answer, but sure."

"How did you come up with the name Haven?"

"She's my only "safe" Haven before I had her.  Jared left me alone for almost a year."

"Why didn't you tell someone?"

"I tried and your family turned me away."  he stood and brushed my hair back his hand caressed my cheek.

"I'm not going to let that happen this time.  I had no say a few years ago.  I do now and you're staying with me."  He whispered.  I turned my head away knowing he was thinking about kissing me.  I went to Haven's room and grabbed her things.  She didn't have much.

John carried the suitcases to the car.  I put Haven in her carseat.  She was in need of a new one.  John got in and drove to his house.  "Can Haven talk yet?"

"She can say momma, but it still needs work."

He parked in the drive way at his house.  "Heather?"

"Yeah?"

"When you are more comfortable around me and everyone else, will you go out to dinner with me?  Sometime, anytime?"

"I'll think about it."

"Cool."  he smiled.