Chapter 16: Feeling Helpless and Unsure

This chapter will mainly be in James's point of view.  An occasional shift from James's to Melanie's

---James's POV---

If I had taken her to the hospital like my wolf told me she wouldn't be in this mess.  SMASH!!!!  When the wall in my office.

We can't leave her.

"What do you want me to do?  She's in the hospital because of me."

She told you she was fine.  She would have been angry with us if we took her to the hospital and unhappy.

I ran my wolf.  I left a letter for Melanie in the waiting room on the table for her.  Her family was asleep.  I really was leaving and wasn't going to be back anytime soon.

---Melanie's POV---

I had gotten out of surgery and was given a letter.  It was from James.  I opened it.

Melanie:

This is hard for me to write and it would have been worse if it was in person.  I'm always going to love you, but you don't need me.  I'm irresponsible and I am not a worthy mate.  I-"

I threw the letter on the floor.  "Mel, what is it, baby?"  my dad picked it up.  He read the rest of it out loud.  "I'm leaving.  I won't be back anytime soon.  I'm too much trouble for you.  Greg and Nick are after me now.  If I stay you'll get hurt again.  I should nave taken you to the hospital when you got hurt, but I didn't because you didn't want me to.  That's not how mates act.  If I was smart I would have taken you to the hospital when it happened.  Love you forever.  Goodbye Mels."  he crumbled up the letter.  "He's dead."  my dad left.  My mom hugged me while I sobbed.  He promised he would never leave me or hurt me.

---James's POV---  (Somewhere in New York)

I started my new law firm after graduating early from law school.  It had been 2 years since I had seen Melanie and her family.  My wolf was beyond upset.  He needed his mate.  I was grocery shopping for me and my brother.  We were having dinner with his wife and 2 sons Ricky and Marcus.  A scent hit my nose.  It was strong and very familiar.  I ran right into my mate.  Melanie had cut her hair to her shoulders.  She was wearing her glasses and was talking with Carly and Jack.  She was holding her little niece.  She looked up.  "Oh, sorry."  She stepped out of the way.  Jack recognized me instantly.  I continued shopping always finding Melanie somewhere.  I then realized she worked here.  She was a courtesy and checker.  I handed her my things   "Find everything okay?"

"Yes."  her hand slipped and it was one with a bandage on it.  She dropped the eggs.

"Shoot!  I am so sorry."  She started cleaning it up.

"It's all right."

'I'll get you some more."  she toward the section with the eggs and came back.  "It won't happen again."

"It's all right, really."  her eyes met mine and she turned red.  She had a ring on her finger which made my wolf growl.

"Um, 65.30.  Minus the broken eggs."  I handed her the cash and she gave me my change.  She started to sack the groceries.  She placed them in the cart.  No courtsey came.  She called for another checker and followed me out.  I opened the back door and she passed my groceries.

"How are you?"

"I'm fine.  You?"

"Not too bad, beautiful."

"Are you hitting on me?"  I winked.

"That's everything.  Have a great evening."

"You too."