Chapter 7: Saying Goodbye for Now

It was just 2 days before Kevin had to leave.  He'd spend an entire day with me and sometimes he'd purposely fall asleep just to stay with me.  I woke up around midnight, my hand in his.  He was awake and looking at me.  "What?"  I whispered.

"Just thinking."

"About?"

"You."

"Don't."

"Why?"

"I'm a bad person."

"No you're not.  Why would you even say that?"

"Because, I lost the baby yesterday.  I didn't tell you because you wouldn't come back if I did."

"Heather, I love you.  I'll come back and when I do we can get married."

"Married?  You haven't even asked yet."

"Don't worry, I will."

On the day Kevin had to leave, I didn't want a goodbye and I really didn't want a hug.  It would be really hard to hug him and be able to let go.  My heart hurt.  i was sitting on the porch and heard my mom come outside.  "Do you want me to drive you to the airport?"

"I'm not going.  I told Kevin that I didn't want to watch him leave.  He said it was all right."

"You know, sometimes a guy says it's all right because they don't want to say the truth."

"I don't want the truth.  I want him to stay.  My heart hurts enough."  She sat beside me.

"I know honey.  You're gonna have to say something to him."

"Why?"

"He's on his way down the street."  I looked up, Kevin's truck pulled up.  He got out.  "I'll be inside."  She went inside.

"What're you doing here?"

"You didn't expect me to leave without seeing you one more time."

"You'll miss your plane."

"I'll be fine.  Get over here."  he took me in his arms.  "I'm not going to say goodbye.  I will be back.  I love you so very much.  I'm always going to love you.  I'll be back around Christmas time.  I'll be done with training and everything.  I love you."  he kissed me.  "I have to go."  He kissed my forehead.  His hand slid from mine and he got in his truck.  I opened my hand and saw the necklace in my palm.  "See you soon baby.  I love you."  He said.

"I love you."  he left.  "Forever."

Months passed and when Christmas came around there was a blizzard.  Kevin was supposed to be here.  I was decorating the tree with my family when there was a knock on the door.  "I'll get it."  I went to get the door.  I unlocked it with my good hand.  I had broken my arm when I had a run in with John.  He was trying to get to me and I was hit by a car.  My knee was in a brace and I had a broken arm.  It was in a sling and a cast.  I opened the door.

"Hi baby."

"Kevin!"  He stepped in and set his bags down.  He shut the door and kissed me.

"At least it's under the mistletoe."  my brother joked.

"Oh, leave them alone."  Kevin pulled away and hugged me being extra careful of my arm.

"Craig, you and Mike should take Kevin's bags to Heather's room.  He can stay in the spare bed.  It's not safe for travel right now.  I'm surpised he got here."  Jenna said.

"Thank you.  I can take my things.  I need to change anyway."

"Heather's room is up in the attic now.  She moved up there after she started college for more space whenever she comes back during breaks."

"I'll take you up."  I said.

"Are you sure honey?"

"Yes.  I'm fine, mom."  I took Kevin's hand and he followed me up carrying his things.

"I hope you plan on telling me what happened."

"Are you sure you want to hear it now?"  I asked when we reached my room.  "You just got here and I just want you to hold me for a while.  Nothing else to worry about."

"Baby, I do have something to worry about.  You're hurt.  i don't want to cause you pain."  he sat down on the spare bed and I sat on his knee.  My good arm around his shoulders.

"A couple weeks ago, I was walking to my car after class."  Kevin's hand at the small of my back and his other resting on my sore knee.  "John was waiting by my car and started toward me when he saw me.  He started to say that you weren't coming back and that he wanted me.  I told him no and tried to get around him.  He wouldn't budge.  He pushed me and I fell into the driving lane.  I was hit.  I have two breaks in my arm and a fractured knee cap."

"Can I beat the crap out of him?"

"That isn't possible right now.  He's in jail."  He relaxed hearing that news.  I rested my head in the crook of his neck.  "I love you."

"I love you too."

"When do you have to leave again?"

"Don't worry about that right now."

"Do you know when?"

"Not really.  I was basically suspended from duty for a while.  They probably don't want me back.

"So, for now, I don't have to say goodbye."

"No baby."  I kissed him softly.

"I'll let you change.  I'll be downstairs."

"Okay."