Chapter 8: Engaged to a MIA Soldier

On Christmas Eve, there I was curled up in Kevin's warm arms his warm chest against my back. His hand resting on my stomach. I had gotten my cast off because I healed so fast due to Kevin's Alpha genes that flow through me ever since he marked me. One day, he opened his hand and revealed an engagement ring. I let him put the ring on my finger and tackled him with a hug.

2 months later, Kevin had to go. I was 2 months pregnant and Jenna just had her first baby. Lindsey Anne Johnson. Craig was leaving too. "You two can help each other out." Craig said. Kevin was holding me.

"If I'm not back, you send me a picture of our baby okay?" I just nodded.

"We have to go."

A month later, I was helping Jenna with Lindsey. She was talking about Craig and I'll admit I kind of tuned her out. She wasn't happy with the fact that I was pregnant with Kevin's kid and that I wasn't far in college. She always brought it up and I just tuned her out. "Heather, are you listening?"

"Yeah."

"Anyway, I wish you and Kevin waited."

"At least we're engaged."

"What?"

"You're getting mad at me because I'm pregnant with Kevin's kid. At least we are engaged."

"Craig and I have been together longer than you and Kevin."

"So? How does that have anything to do with right now? Why did you and Craig do it?"

"Because we love each other."

"Don't you think that's the reason why Kevin and I did it."

"No. I think the reason is because you didn't want him to leave without showing him how much of a whore you are." Just then mom came in.

"Jenna Nicole." I went upstairs to my room and started packing. His parents had sent a letter shortly after Kevin left.

"If you ever need anything you know where to find us. You are more than welcome to stay with us."

I finished packing and left. My mom on the porch she knew I wanted to go and she let me. I didn't need to stay in the same house as Jenna right now. I'd regret it later. An hour later, I pulled into his parents' giant driveway. His mother and father were waiting as promised. I parked and cut the engine. I got out. His dad popped the trunk and carried my stuff inside.

The first letter of the month came the next day. It was addressed to me.

To the future Mrs. Taylor,

Not a day goes by that I don't think about you. It's just a matter of months before I'll be back and be able to hold our son or daughter. If you find out whether or not it's a boy or girl, don't tell me. I want it to be a surprise. I love you so very much and I wish I was with you. I've kept every letter you have written. I hope you have kept mine.

Everything's so different here. Right now we are just awaiting orders. Within a couple months, we should be given the opportunity to visit our families. When writting this I recall your statement in you're last letter. "You won't get to see me fat." Honey, you're pregnant not "fat". You're perfect and I love you.

I hate to write a short letter, but I must send this before it's too late.

With much love,

Kevin.

A couple of months past and I reached my 5 month mark. I was at my foster parents house because we were having a BBQ for the brief return of Craig and Kevin. A car pulled up and Craig got out. Jenna ran to Craig and he held her tight. "Where's Kevin?"

"They haven't came yet?"

"Who's they?"

"Heather, Kevin's missing."

That night, I was sitting in a tub of warm water. The baby was fine after the fall I endured. I was just trying to relax the muscles in my back.

4 months later, I had Melanie Kay Taylor. Kevin was still missing. I was resting at his parents' house. Following the news of his disappearence, I slipped into a depression and after Melanie's birth it was a little better but not enough.

3 years later, Melane was outside playing, I was sitting on the porch watching here run around with Powder. Her husky puppy. I heard a knock on the front door. "Back here." I said expecting my parents. The gate opened and Kevin appeared. Melanie looked up.

"Hi." She said waving.

"Hi there." Kevin shut the gate and approached the porch. I was standing at the top of the stairs. "Heather, you look great, baby."

"Kevin, you're back."

"Mommy, who that?" Melanie asked taking my hand. I picked her up.

"You're daddy." Kevin took us in his arms.

That night, Kevin was making dinner. "So, why'd you argue with me, you just got here and I should be cooking for you."

"You need a break."

"So, what's for dinner?"

"Chicken Enchiladas."

"Ooh, I didn't know you could cook."

Melanie had already ate and was up in bed. "I can cook. It may not always be edible."

"I'm sure it'll be delicious." He smiled.

After dinner, I went to check on Melanie. I fixed her blanket and kissed her forehead. She hugged her bear. I left partly shutting the door. I opened the door to my room. Kevin was by the window. "Hey." I grabbed my pajamas. "Don't be a stranger. I'll be right back." I went into the bathroom and started the shower. I went back and grabbed a towel.

After my shower, I was brushing my teeth. I peeked into the room and saw Kevin was asleep. I went to bed. I sat there with the lamp on and read my book. Kevin woke up. "Hey, shower's free." He sat up.

"Sorry I fell asleep."

"it's okay."

I woke up around midnight. Kevin had woken up due to a nightmare. He was sitting on the edge of the bed. "Kevin? Are you all right?"

"I'm okay. I just need a drink of water." He left the room and I saw the scars on his back. When he came back I was half asleep. I woke up when he moved the blanket.

"How'd you get those scars?"

"What scars?"

"The ones on your back."

"Oh, it's a long story and it's late."

"Will you tell me tomorrow?"

"Sure."