Chapter 6: Avoiding the Problem

A year after being with Kevin, I finally asked when I was going to meet his parents.  I should have met them a long time ago.  Kevin and I were walking to the park.  "Kevin?"

"Yeah baby?"

"When are you going to take me to meet your parents?"

"I didn't know when you wanted to meet them.  I like having you all to myself."  he said hugging me against his side.  "Do you want to go now?"

"Like this?"  I said motioning to my shorts and tanktop.

"Why not?"  we got to his truck and he helped me into the passenger seat.  While he drove, he picked on me.  He kept his eyes on the road and a hand on the wheel, but he kept tickling me.

"Stop causing trouble you bully."  Just then I saw John's pickup coming straight for us.  Kevin turned onto a trail and John flew by.

"What is his problem?"

"Kevin, I was his mate before you remember?"

"All this is because I haven't marked you?"

"I guess."  Kevin kept driving down the trail and we ended up in front of a big house.

"Here we are."

"You live here?"

"Yep.  Not the most exciting place in the world, but it works."

"Are you sure your parents will like me?"

"Yes, they'll love you."  He parked in the driveway and got out.  He came around to my side and opened my door.  He helped me out.  He took my hand and led me inside.  "Mom?  Dad?"

"In here honey."

My hand tightened in his.  "Relax."  he said kissing my hair.  I followed him to their dining room.  His parents were seated at the table with a few others.

"Hi sweetie."

"Hi.  This is my girlfriend Heather Clark."

"It's about time you introduce us to the mystery girl."  His father said.

"Heather this is my father, Kevin Taylor Sr.  My mother JoAnna.  The goofy looking one is my brother Lucas, the shorty is my sister Stephanie.  The guy beside her is her husband Kyle."

"Hi."

That night, I was staying for dinner.  Kevin was sitting on the couch watching the game with his brother.  His mom was making dinner.  His sister was telling stories about her, Kevin, and Lucas when they were younger.  She showed me pictures of Kevin when he was a baby.  "Embarrassing pictures of the day."  Kevin said.

"Awe, how cute."

"Steph, I told you to leave the pictures alone."

"Awe come on little brother, they aren't that bad."

After dinner, Kevin and I were sitting on the porch, my hands curled around his arm.  "Come with me.  I got you something."  He took my hand and pulled me up.  I followed him upstairs.  He opened the door to his room.  I sat down on his bed and he grabbed an envelope off his dresser.  He sat down beside me and gave it to me.

"What's this?"

"Open it."  I did and a necklace fell into my palm.  "Happy early birthday and late one year anniversary.  I was trying to save up the money to get you something special."

"Kevin, my birthday isn't for a few more months."

"Then it's an anniversary present."

"It's beautiful.  I love it.  Thank you."  He kissed below my ear.