Chapter 10: 10 years and 3 girls later

I am going to jump 10 years ahead.  Melanie's 13th birthday, Carly is 10 years old,  Julia and Christina are 5, and Natalie is 2 years old.

Note: Might have some spelling errors

So, after being married to Kevin for 10 years and only having a house full of girls, I was more nervous than I had ever been because everyone kept asking about having a son.  Sure it would be nice, but it was hard to say if it would ever happen.  5 is more than enough.

Melanie came home with some of her friends:  Drew, Katie, and Martin.  Carly was already having a slumber party at Eliza's house and Julia and Christina were having Taya and Megan over for a sleepover.  Kevin was late and I was making dinner.  Melanie was helping me with dinner, we were just having tacos.  Kevin came in through the back door just as I was serving dinner.  I could smell perfume.  Melanie finished serving dinner so I could sit down.  Kevin sat down.  Drew, Katie, and Martin all introduced themselves.  Taya and Megan were upstairs with Julia and Christina having pizza rolls.

"Sorry I'm late."

After dinner, I was sitting on the porch when Kevin came up.  "Okay, what's up?"

"So where were you?"

"Work?"

"Why do you smell like perfume?"

"I was at my parents' house.  My sister was there and hugged me."

"Fine.  Well, I have to go."

"Why?"

"Because while you didn't bother to pick up the phone my sister was in a car accident.  Since you're here now I can go and see how she's doing."  I went inside and grabbed my keys and purse.  I left taking his truck.  Craig was sitting in the waiting room when I arrived.  "Craig, how is she?"

"She lost the baby and she's hemoranging.  She slipped into a coma."

I got home the next morning and fell asleep right away.  Kevin fixed the blanket when he came in from his morning shower.  He kissed my forehead.  "I'm sorry, Heather.  I love you."

Three months later, Jenna had recovered just fine, but her and Craig were taking time away from each other.  Melanie and Lindsey were ready to go to the Homecoming.  Lindsey's date arrived and they offered to wait for Drew, but Melanie just told them that they would catch up.

Kevin and I were cleaning up after dinner.  I peeked into the living room and saw Melanie sitting there flipping through a magazine.  Carly was reading a book and looked up and saw me.  She shrugged.  I went back into the kitchen.  "He's still not here?"  Kevin asked.

"No."

2 hours later, after offering to take Melanie to the dance, it was too late.  The dance was over and Drew was a no show.  I went into the living room.  "Maybe something happened?"

"Something did happen.  I was stood up."  She hugged me as her tears began to flow.  Kevin came in and sat beside me.  His arms made it around both of us.  Lindsey got back.

"Hey, did you change your mind?"  She saw Melanie crying.  "Oh."

Monday morning came, Melanie seemed to have forgotten about it.

When she returned, she was with a boy.  Kevin looked up from where he was working on the playset for Natalie's birthday party.  Kevin rolled his eyes.  "What?  This is Kyle, he's my partner for the science project."

"I didn't say anything."

"Kyle will you be staying for dinner?"

"Sure, Mrs. Taylor."