Chapter 9: Time Off

A year later, Kevin and I finally got married.  We were on a camping trip with my family.  Craig and  Jenna have 3 kids.  Lindsey, Craig Jr., and Mitchell.

9 months after Kevin and I got married I had Carly Lynn Taylor.  I was putting Carly in her bed.  Everyone else was out hiking.  I told Kevin my knee was bugging me and he wanted me to stay and rest.  I locked the door to the camper and laid down.  Melanie was asleep in the recliner.  I sent Kevin a text.  "Send me a text when you are back.  I locked the camper door.  If I don't answer your text give me a call."

"Okay, love ya."

"Love you too."

I set my phone down and fell asleep.  I woke up to pounding at the door.  Carly was crying.  I picked her up and tried to calm her.  I checked my phone no call or text.  I peeked out the window.  It was John.  "Shh.."  I took Melanie's hand and pulled her into the bathroom.  "Kevin, are you there?"  I said through our mind link.

"What's wrong baby?"

"John's here."

"Where are you right now?"

"The camper's bathroom."

"I'm on my way.  Stay put baby."

"Okay.  Kevin?"

"Yes?"

"I'm sorry."

"His problem is with me, not you.  It isn't your fault.  Don't apologize."  I sat on the floor with Melanie and Carly in my arms.

"Daddy's on his way okay?"

20 minutes later, the door opened and Kevin appeared with Craig behind him.  I passed Carly to Kevin and Melanie went to Craig.  Kevin passed Carly to my mom and knelt in front of me.  He carried me out of there and set me in the recliner.  He grabbed some ice and set it on my knee.

That night, I was laying in bed.  Kevin was reading a book.  "Kevin?"

"Yes?"

"Are your nightmares gone?"

"I'd say so.  Took a while, but I can't even remember the last nightmare I had."

"That's good."  I turned to face him a pillow against my chest.  "You broke your promise you know."

"What promise?"

"Your back."

"Oh.  Are you sure you want to hear about it?  That could trigger my nightmares again."

"If you don't want to tell me I understand.  I just don't like feeling like something's being hidden from me.  I've told you everything."

"Not exactly."  he said setting his book down.  He laid down beside me.  "You missed a few very important details."

"Like?"

"Whether or not you can swim."

"Why does that matter?"

"Just reasons."

"I don't like what you're up to."  He tickled me.  "I can't swim."  I said pressing my forehead against his.

"Well, we will just have to fix that won't we?"

"I don't think so."  I gave him a kiss and went to check on Carly.

"Tease."

Carly was awake and reached for me when I came in.  "Hi sweetie."  I picked her up.

Morning came, I was helping Kevin make breakfast.  I saw Jenna and Craig arguing on the dock.  Craig took off and Jenna went toward one of the trails.  I followed her.  "Kevin, watch Carly for me."

"All right."

That night, Craig still wasn't back.  Jenna was sitting on the dock.  I sat down beside her.  "So, what happened?"

"Craig's ex is in town with his daughter.  During that time when Craig and I separated, he had a fling with this girl.  I found out about it and I found out that she had been hanging around where he works.  He went to go see her."

"Are you sure?  Maybe he just said that to make you mad."  Honestly I started to feel like I was stuck in a soap opera whenever it had to deal with Jenna and Craig.

I went to bed and woke up around midnight to the phone ringing.  Jenna was asleep and wasn't going to wake up.  I answered it.  "Hello?"

"Mrs. Taylor, is your husband available?"

"Yeah."  I got up and found Kevin sitting outside.  He looked up.  I gave him the phone.  "It's the police station."

I took Jenna to the hospital.  Craig had been in a bad car accident.  He had a 20% chance of surviving and his wolf had a 5% chance of surviving.  If his wolf discovered Jenna's presence his healing powers would kick in and Craig could live through the accident.  He wouldn't be able to continue his place as Alpha.

Morning came and Kevin showed up with Melanie and Carly.  Craig's wolf had discovered Jenna and he started healing.  

I had fallen asleep in one of the chairs in the waiting room.  It was uncomfortable, but I was too tired to care.  I woke up to Melanie trying to climb into my lap.  Kevin was sitting across from me.  "Mel, come sit in daddy's lap.  Let mommy go back to sleep."

Kevin stood up and sat in the chair beside me and I fell back to sleep.  My hand in his.

So much for time off.