Chapter 4: Fighting Over a Guy

This chapter will tell of what Heather goes through just to learn the truth about John's family  

~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~

I was walking to the park with my foster sister, Jenna.  I saw John playing basketball with Jenna's boyfriend Craig and my foster brother Michael.  Jenna hugged Craig and some girl sat practically in John's lap.  I felt my heart twist and split in to two.  Hypothetically speaking of course.  "What are you two doing here?"  Craig asked.

"Just walking.  We were going to get some lunch.  We wanted to see if you would come.  We didn't expect John or Layni to be here."

"Hi Heather."  Layni said.

"Hi."

"Isn't it great, John and I are together now?"

"Yeah great."  John saw the look on my face.  "I forgot something at home.  I'll catch up later."  I walked away.  Jenna caught up.

"She knows how much you like him doesn't she?"

"That's why she asked him out."

"Some friend she is."  Craig caught up.  Michael and Claire caught up.  We got to the cafe.  John walked in with Layni.  They sat with us.  John ended up sitting beside me and Layni took the space in his lap.

"Layni grab a chair."

"Do you mind moving to a different table.  There obviously isn't enough room."  John moved to the next table.  Layni sat across from him.

"What's wrong Heather?  Are you mad because you missed your chance at John?  Why don't you get it through your head that he moved on?  Just get rid of your little crush."

"Layni enough."  John growled.

"Carla, can I just get mine to go?"  I asked.

"Sure."  she gave me a styrofoam box with my lunch in it.  I paid for mine and left.

~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~

"Layni, did you really want to date me or was it to upset Heather?"

"What do you mean?"

"You know exactly what I mean."

"I was tired of hearing how much she liked you and then she said how much she loved you.  Really? If she cared so much why was she pushing you away.  I really do like you and I took matters into my own hands.  She'll get over it.  I don't want you to hang around her anymore anyway.  She's too whiney and too much of a baby."  I got up and left.

That night, I was sitting by the window just thinking about Heather.  My wolf was furious and my mate was upset.

The next day, I ran into Heather at the library.  "Hi."  she didn't say anything.  "I broke up with Layni.  I didn't know you liked me that much."  

"That's bull and you know it.  You told me how much you liked me and then went out with my friend.  I'm done being hurt John."  She grabbed her stuff and left.  I ran after her.

"Heather, if I didn't love you then why would I break up with her and look for you all night."

 ~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~

3 months later, Layni was now my enemy because she was after John.  He was mine now.  John was working on my car for me.  "Johnny?"

"Yeah?"

"I'm making some lemonade, do you want some?"

"Sure.  I'll be right in."  I went back inside and finished the lemonade.  John came in and I gave him a glass of lemonade.  "Thank you."  He leaned against the counter.  "So, dinner this Saturday?"

"I have to babysit Kara for my foster parents."

"How 'bout Friday?"

"I don't have work."

"Great.  I'll pick you up at 6."  he set his glass down.  "You're car is done.  I have to get going.  Thanks for the lemonade."  he gave me a kiss.  "Love you."

"Love you too.  See ya."

"See ya."  his hand slid from mine and he left.

Saturday night, I was sitting on the couch with Kara.  We were watching Lion KIng.  I was talking to John my cell phone.  The power suddenly went out.  "Great."

"Heather?"

"Kara stay here."

"Honey, what's wrong?"

"The power went out."

"Do you want me to come over?"

"You don't have to.  I'm just going to go find some candles or flashlights."  I heard a crash outside.  "Kara come on."  I took her hand and she followed me.

"Heather, what was that?"

"I don't know."

"I'm on my way.  Stay on the phone."  The doorknob shook as if someone was trying to get in.  The door was slammed into.

"Kara let's go."  We ran to upstairs and into Kara's room.  I had her hide in the closet.  She protested but I didn't want her to get hurt.

"Heather, are you there?"

"Yeah."  I heard the door downstairs break open and footsteps on the stairs.

Suddenly, I was grabbed and I dropped my phone.  I woke up tied to a chair.  "Well, hello, Heather."  My eyes focused only to find Jared and Layni standing in front of me.

"All this for a guy?"

"Awe, it's not just any guy.  He was mine first."

"He's not a toy.  He can't be claimed."

"Oh, but he can.  You see, he and his family are wolves."

The next day, John came and at the hospital, I was sitting there quietly.  John was sitting beside me.  "John?"

"Yes?"

"Is there something you're hiding from me?"

"What do you mean?"

"Layni said you and your family are wolves.  Is that true?"  he looked up.

"Is this the right time for this?"

"That's a good question.  I've told you everything about me.  If you're keeping something from me and don't want to tell me then I see no use in being with you anymore."

"Heather, you can't be serious."

"I am."

"Baby, look, if there is anything I want to do right now is to show you.  I can show you better than I can tell you.  The hospital is not the right place for it.  I love you Heather.  I don't want to lose you.  When you get out of here, I promise, I'll show you.  I'm sorry you had to heard it from her.  Please, you have to believe me.  Please.  I just got you.  I don't want to lose you.  I love you more than anything."