Chapter 36: Sibling Trouble

Jumping a head about 10 years.  Eliza and Lucas are 13.  Megan is 11.  Bethany is 9.  Zaya and Vincent's little accidents: Vince Jr. is 5 and Monica is 2.

---Eliza Jane's POV---

I was helping my mom with Monica.  My dad came in with Lucas.  They were talking about basketball.  My mom was pregnant again.  She said no more and dad said one more.

Lucas was the athletic one and I was the nerdy not so athletic one.  I was often picked on because I'm not a skinny perfect teen  When I turned 11, my dad started to call me Eliza Jane and it sort of stuck.  Lucas was overprotective.

When school started, I was in the advanced classes.  I got to my first class and sat down in the front because the nerdy jocks were in the back.  They just creeped me out.  I was looking over my schedule when class started.  Paper was thrown at me.

After school, I went outside and found Lucas surrounded by some girls.  I kept walking and he caught up.  "How was your first day?"

"Fine."

"Are you sure?"

"Pretty sure.  You look like you had a better one."

"Nah."  we got home.  Lucas sat down beside my dad.

"Hey how was the first day of school?"

"Great."  Lucas said.

"Eliza Jane?"

"The usual."

The others came home and said they all had made friends on the first day.

Around dinner time, I was sitting outside.  My mom came out.  "Hey sweetie."  she sat beside me.  "What's wrong?"

"It's the same thing every year.  You know the answer."

"I guess I always hope its something different.  Just give it time.  You made friends at your old school."

"No, I didn't.  Those 'friends' only talked to me because I was at the top of the class and they felt bad for me.  I don't need a pity party.  Especially at home."  I went inside.

"Liza..."  I went upstairs slipping passed my dad in the process.

After everyone was done with dinner, I went downstairs and found my mom in the kitchen cleaning up with dad's help.  "Hey, hungry?"  Dad asked.

"Daddy, can I talk to mom alone?"

"Sure."  my dad went into the living room.

"Hey, I saved you a plate of food."

"Thanks.  I owe you an apology."

"Liza, you don't owe me anything."

"I didn't mean what I said."

"I know.  I'm not mad at you.  Now eat your dinner."  she gave me a hug.

While I ate, she asked about my advanced classes and how they were the first day.  My dad came in and finished cleaning up.  Mom and I were watching a movie when dad came in.  "Come on, it's late."  We all went to bed.

A month later, I was at the homecoming dance with my friend Jamie.  She was in my advanced science class and we were both at the top of the class.  Lucas was hanging out with his football buddies.  I was washing my hands when I was cornered by one of the female cliques in high school.  They shoved me around and teased me.  I left with Jamie following me.  I called my dad and he was on the way.

The Monday after, Lucas allowed everyone to tease me.  He didn't defend me at all.  I felt a feeling of betrayal.  After school, Lucas saw me walk out and completely ignored me.  I got outside and slammed into someone dropping everything.  I started to pick my stuff up.  The guy I ran into kicked my notebook away from my reach.  I grabbed it and kept walking.  I got to the park.  I sat on one of the benches putting my stuff in my bag.  I quietly cried to myself.